Chapter Thirty-Seven

Darla had found Alicent pacing the hall outside of their apartments, waiting for her. The queen turned as she neared, taking deep breaths in an attempt to temper her anger. Darla gently grasped Alicent, stepping closer to her.

"Are you alright, Alicent?"

"Yes," Alicent breathed, relaxing into Darla's touch. Her own hands rested on Darla's hips, tugging the mistress further into her personal space. "I just- I cannot believe the king's inability to see the truth."

"He loves his daughter very much, and to speak such things would break his heart. You must be gentle in this matter," Darla's hand trailed up Alicent's arm, moving to frame her face. Her thumb caressed Alicent's soft skin. A soft smile pulled at the corners of her lips as Alicent leaned into the touch. "Are you sure about tonight? I can send him away."

"I wanted this," Alicent whispered back, her brown eyes warm with affection and admiration for the older woman. "I want to be involved in this sort of thing."

Darla nodded, slowly slipping out of Alicent's hold. "If you are uneasy-"

"I shall tell you." Alicent finished the sentence, having heard the statement countless times.

"Very well." Darla smiled, ushering Alicent into their chambers.

The smell of food filled the room as well as the sound of clanking silverware as Darla opened the door. Lord Larys stood from his seat, though Darla merely waved him off, pulling Alicent's seat out for her. Larys's eyes tracked the movement, scrutinizing the interaction.

"I see you have begun without us, Ser Larys." Darla teased the weasel-like man as she took her seat.

"It seemed a sin to let such a pie grow cold."

"You did wisely, Lord Larys." Alicent forced a smile to her lips as the man's attention shifted to her.

"Though you had no such worry about the wine, surely." Darla responded, her fingers tangling with Alicent's under the table.

"Meat without wine is also a sin." The Lord Confessor spoke, pouring the queen and mistress glasses of wine. "It has been my duty to tell you the happenings about the castle, but tonight you know and I do not. The king had an audience with my father."

"He attempted to resign his post." Darla spoke around her cup of wine.

"I thought as much," Larys spoke around a bite of meat. "His honor's always been a millstone about his esteemed neck. Interesting you said attempted?"

"My lord husband refused to accept." Alicent answered.

"He failed to form the words," Darla replied, chuckling to herself as she recalled the incident in the training yard. "Though with your brother's eruption in the yard, the truth is now known."