four

RALEIGH SAMIRA PEYTON
ST. LOUIS
GRADE 9

Currently, I was home alone. Being lonely was my normal. My excuse of a mother is always out, my two younger siblings basically live with our grandma and my dad? Well, I don't even know who he is.

Its always just been me.

If I wasn't at school, I was in my room drawing or with Demontè.

We haven't talked since that day in the stairwell. That was three weeks ago. We just see eachother, look, and keep walking. It hurt that he seemed so nonchalant about it all. He's always been the type who hides their feelings though.

I always wondered how it was so easy for people to just not care because I care about every single thing. I feel every emotion deeper than most people which is why I cry so much, so easily. I just feel everything intensely. It doesn't matter if its happiness, sadness, or anger, I feel them all 10x more stronger than the average human. I was still working on controlling the tears and being more careless though.

The boys had told me he was fine, but I knew they wouldn't tell me if he had actually spoken about how he felt about us.

I flipped the page in my journal to start a new sketch. I didn't have anything better to do. At all.

To know me is to know that I love art. I love drawing, painting, and anything close to it. It was peaceful to me. I'd never take it seriously though.

I stared out of my window, drawing the little things that I could see from my bed. There wasn't much to actually see since my window was on the side of our apartment. All that I could draw was the building next to mine and the stars that decorated the dark sky.

A few moments later, there was a loud bang on my window. Rocks

It was nobody, but Cadence. A smile was lit across my face because now, I wouldn't be lonely.

Quickly, I slid my Nike slides on my feet and grabbed my house key from my nightstand before running down the apartment steps and out the door.

Mama always told me not to leave when she's away, but she can't expect me to listen to her when she doesn't come home for weeks at a time. I'll do whatever the hell I want.

Cadoe greeted me with a blue slushy and a slim jim. my favorites

"For me?"

"Don't start being slow." I rolled my eyes before taking the cup from his hand. "What you here for?"

"Demontè said he wanna talk to you." My heart stopped for a second. What did he want to talk about? Was it bad?

"About?"

"Thats for y'all to discuss." I didn't realize that we had already made it across the courtyard and to Demontès building. "I'm scared."

"Don't be." We walked upstairs and down the hall until we made it to his door. "I'll walk you back just come get me." I nodded before walking inside.

His mom must not have been home. It was very quiet.

"Demontè?" I stood there in his doorway. He was laying down on his phone. A small smile fell upon his face which also brought one to mine as well.

My heart started beating faster. The possibilities of what he wanted to talk about were pretty endless.

"Come sit yo ass down. Stop being scary." I sat on the edge of his bed, tapping my fingers against eachother to ease some of my nervousness. I drank my slushy to take my mind off of it.