Chapter 5 | Meeting a Merman

Under the water, Yibo felt time stop around him. But then a voice began to echo in his head, to which Yibo opened his eyes wide. He expected the ocean to be an infinite emptiness of deep blue, but his eyes were exposed to something else; in the darkness of the ocean, he was not alone. Motionless with only his gaze, Yibo followed the dark blue creature that was swimming closer and closer toward him.

Yibo thought of a shark at first, but then his vision quickly turned into a fog when the creature got close enough to him.

The creature he saw was not a shark, but a human figure.

"A human ... with a fishtail?" thought Yibo.

As soon as Yibo saw the tail, everything went black again.

------------------

When Yibo regained consciousness, the first thing he felt was not the cold penetrating the bone but the sand under his palm. He heard again the rustle of undulating water and the gentle breeze.

Yibo felt completely exhausted, so he just lay still and let time pass. But then he noticed something that piqued his interest: a kind of warmth began to permeate his entire chest and then his limbs. Yibo opened his eyes as far as he could, but his eyes were blinded by a little blue light. He couldn't see clearly, but he still realized that the warmth he felt and the blue light came from a hand that was on his chest. With narrowed eyes, Yibo tried to see the face of his savior beyond the light, while slowly raising his hand. When Yibo's weak hand fell on the merfolk's hand, the light slowly went out.

Zhan looked at Yibo and waited breathlessly for Yibo's eyes to move from their hand to his

Zhan looked at Yibo and waited breathlessly for Yibo's eyes to move from their hand to his. Yibo's vision was a little blurry, but he could see Zhan's face enough to fascinate him. - Young, endowed with infinite beauty in every feature. Long black and wet hair, beautiful almond eyes that turned deep blue, and the most subdued, pale, yet stunning smile Yibo had ever seen. Zhan was not disturbed or frightened by Yibo's touch. But when Yibo's touch weakened, and then his hand fell on the sand, Zhan's face reflected only horror. At that moment, Zhan was terrified, not that others would see him and possibly catch him, but that Yibo was dying.

Yibo suddenly turned to the side, then coughed up the little water he probably swallowed or left in his lungs. After his coughing subsided, Yibo rolled onto his back and sighed wearily.

"Who .. are .. you?" Yibo spoke hoarsely, despite his exhaustion.

Zhan did not answer, only looked at Yibo in a confused way. But just when it seemed Zhan was about to say something to Yibo, a distant voice stopped him. Zhan looked up and began to search for the source of the voice.

Yibo never took his eyes off Zhan for a moment. He did not pay attention to the world around him, only to the young beauty in front of him. But that quickly changed when Zhan suddenly moved away from him.

"Hold on sir, ... I've already called for help! .. Stay awake, until then! Stay awake!" a man shouted as he ran towards Yibo.

"Wait! ... Wait! ... Please don't go!" begged Yibo, weakly trying to get up to stop Zhan.

However, his body was still too weak, so Yibo could only turn to the side while reaching out for Zhan. By the time he did, Zhan was gone. The only trace left was a long and slightly wide strip left in the sand that led straight into the sea. Yibo looked out to sea, confused. He thought at first that the strip was formed when he was pulled out of the water. But as Yibo looked further and further, he realized that the strip right next to him was only a short arm's length away.

Yibo's thoughts were still revolving around the mysterious person and the streak as he laid back on his back and closed his eyes. Soon after, the world went completely silent again for him.

( .. Just a short and surprising chapter ... ) 😊

-----------------------------

Thank you for reading! I hope you liked it! 💙✨