Chapter 10 | Tale (or not)

After Zhan felt better, Yibo wanted Zhan to rest a bit, but Wenjun's presence made it difficult. Because Yibo knew that he had to tell his friend the whole truth, but he didn't want to leave Zhan alone again and Zhan didn't want to go back to the bedroom either, so they went to the living room. Yibo walked towards the living room with Zhan in his arms, followed by Wenjun. As they made their way to the room, Zhan clutched the thin blanket Yibo had covered him with.

No sooner had Yibo laid Zhan down on the couch, Wenjun sat down on the other couch across from them and began questioning Zhan.

"And tell me, besides shapeshifting, what other abilities do you have? How old are you? Are there still merfolks in the sea? Can you change the color of your scales or eyes?" Wenjun asked, staring at Zhan curiously, waiting for answers.

However, Wenjun's excessive curiosity and the many questions he asked, caused a little fear in Zhan.

Zhan just desperately raised his blue eyes at Yibo.

"What is it?" Wenjun asked as he looked at the two of them in confusion.

After Yibo finished placing Zhan's fin on the sofa, he looked at Zhan for a moment. He sighed softly and sorrowfully, then answered Wenjun instead of Zhan.

"He doesn't speak." Yibo finally said, and he sat down in the small armchair next to Zhan.

"What? What do you mean he doesn't speak?" Wenjun was puzzled to hear Yibo's answer.

"Like I said... Since I found him, he hasn't said a word." Yibo replied, then looked back at Zhan and continued. - "However, I don't know if he can or not, because he avoids the subject a lot."

"Oh. ... Don't you think it's possible that he avoids this topic because he's ashamed that he doesn't have a voice?" Wenjun asked, while Zhan not only avoided the gaze of the two of them but even bowed his head sadly.

 Don't you think it's possible that he avoids this topic because he's ashamed that he doesn't have a voice?" Wenjun asked, while Zhan not only avoided the gaze of the two of them but even bowed his head sadly

Yibo thought about it.

"Well..." - Yibo spoke up after a short silence. - "I don't know."

---------------------

The fresh air that flowed into the room through the two large doors left open quickly lulled the mermaid to sleep. Not long after he fell asleep, Zhan was again in his human form under the blanket. Yibo noticed that Zhan was much more vulnerable in his human form than in his original form. He tired easily and often needed water to avoid dehydration or passing out.

Yibo adjusted the blanket on Zhan, then he and Wenjun walked into the kitchen and continued talking.

"Okay, .. we both know that mermaids and sirens use their voices to lure their victims close to themselves." - Wenjun said as he sat down at the kitchen counter. - "Mm ... Although this is much more typical of sirens."

After a brief silence, Wenjun smiled and continued.

"Why did you smile?" Yibo asked, puzzled by his friend's sudden mood swings.