Chapter 14 | A medicine and a poison | Part 2.

While Mr. Wang told Yibo the truth about his illness, his hospitalization, the chance meeting with Liying, and then the frequent conversations with her, Zhan was in the room and waited patiently.

Zhan sat at the end of the bed and often turned his attention to the door, especially when he managed to hear Yibo's or Mr. Wang's sentences quite clearly. He waited for the door to open so he could see Yibo again. However, after he heard one of Mr. Wang's sentences: "I couldn't bear to lose her soon....", Zhan fixed his eyes on the only photograph in the room. In the photo were young Yibo and his parents. They were all visibly smiling and looking cheerful, but their eyes reflected what they really felt at that moment. Zhan, on the other hand, saw nothing but deep sadness in Mr. Wang's eyes, which almost resembled grief and loss.

-----------------------

"You were in the hospital a few days ago because you had a mild heart attack, and you didn't tell me anything about it until now." said Yibo loudly.

"Calm down, son. ..." - Mr. Wang tried to calm his son down, but he didn't pay attention to him.

"Why? Why didn't you tell me that? Why did you have to hide this?" asked Yibo.

"Because I didn't want you to worry about me!" - Mr. Wang yelled at him, then after a few moments he resumed his normal voice. - "I didn't want you to live in constant fear and dread every day that maybe that day would be the last ... that we talked or that we saw each other." - Mr. Wang took a deep sigh. - "Yibo, I know how you feel right now. I know, because the same thing happened to me with your mother."

Mr. Wang bowed his head sadly, closed his eyes for a while, and then continued.

"I didn't tell you this because I didn't want you to experience the pain that I felt while your mother was alive; that you could lose her any day. All I could think about was not to cause you more suffering."

"It's too late for that ... because this pain, this fear, has already become a part of my life." Yibo thought of Zhan.

"I'm truly sorry for everything I did in the past. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you and your mother. But you should know that I didn't do it because I didn't love you two, .. but because I could neither bear nor accept that the love of my life was dying before my eyes and that I couldn't do anything to stop it. I couldn't bear that I was going to lose her soon. ... I couldn't accept the terrible truth, and cowardly, I buried myself in my work, but in the meantime, I didn't even notice how much harm I was doing to those who are more important to me than anything else."

"Dad ..." Yibo spoke softly as he stood up from the sofa, his eyes were already red, and his face was covered with freshly fallen tears.

"I'm sorry, my son... I made the mistake of my life and deserve to be hated by you. I also deserve what Fate has written for me. I have already accepted this "punishment" for being a bad father. But now I'm asking you... Please forgive me, son. I don't want to leave this world one day knowing my only son was angry with me." Mr. Wang pleaded sadly.

"Dad, I... I'm not mad at you. I've never really been mad at you, not even once. I was rather sad because I thought you never loved me or mom." said Yibo, standing in front of his father with tears in his eyes.

"I love you and your mother more than anything. Never forget that. You have always been and always will be important in my life."

After that, neither of them said anything; they just hugged each other tightly. Both knew that a painful chapter in their lives was closed forever and that they could finally start their father-son relationship again with a new, clean slate.

As father and son reconciled, almost all secrets were revealed, at least between the two of them.

----------------------------