{Ch. 18} Trigger

You held your rifle in rest position at an angle over your shoulder, walking back and forth in a straight line along side the gates with another one of your former colleagues.

Despite wearing a hat to keep your face shaded from the hot beaming sun, its rays still sizzled every part of your body. The light thin cotton material you wore still wasn't enough to keep you from sweating or gaining a tan in the process.

It was only until eight hours later that someone took your position allowing you to refresh yourself indoors. You took a cold shower not wanting to feel the same heat you had felt outside for hours. Although, you did get lost in thought about G.

He hadn't talked to you directly for at least a week and everytime you two stumbled across each other, he would pass you like he saw no one there. It did make your heart throb a little when he did that, but perhaps he was just embarrassed and the thought of confrontation made him feel guilty so he just dimissed you to avoid that feeling.

You turn the shower off and step out with a towel wrapped securely around your body then head to your locker. You unlock the small compartment and take out your new uniform and undergarments. You quickly prepare yourself then take your leave from the womens showers.

You feel the ground tremble underneath you, pebbles of rock moving across cracked ground. You hear yelling and the sound of gunshots from afar outside the gates. Other soldiers from their guarding positions began rushing towards the entrance and you quickly grabbed a rifle from a nearby wall and rushed to the front.

Rushing to the gates, you looked through your lens and scoped enemy targets riding in a jeep with a big machine gun on top. Your finger squeezed the trigger, your eyes on the male driver. If you managed to take him out, the vehicle would crash. Just as you were about to pull the trigger, one of the enemies spotted you and a bullet cracked through the air flying your way.

You quickly moved out of the way, taking shelter in the small check-in office that had bullets holes through the metal material. Falling to the ground, your eyes met ones that were wide open and empty. You quickly covered your mouth, muffling your silent screams, and squeezed your eyes shut for a concise moment. You take a few quick deep breathes before you end up having a panic attack. You sit up and open your eyes with a shakey sigh.

You stood up crouching low, stepping cautiously over the dead body. You peek above the broken window seal with your rifle in position, eyeing your target through the lense once again. Soldiers continued to fail by the enemies hands yet defending the territory so they wouldn't get in. You take a deep breath, heart beat loud in your ears, mind focused and cleared.

You pull the trigger.

A bullet cracks through the air out of many, drilling straight into the drivers skull out the other side. His body falls to the side, the vehicle going out of control without sense of direction. You stand up and move out of the office, cocking your rifle back. The enemy continues to shoot and you walk forward, shooting right back. You take out one in the shoulder, another in his chest. The others jump out of the vehicle before it crashes, still outnumbered by guns pointing right at you.

Somehow it didn't bother you nor did it matter. You were truly in soldier mode.

You pull the trigger once again only for nothing to come out, reality hitting you like a rock. Under their masks, they seem to grin at your faltering problem. You toss the gun and step back with your hands raised in defense, laughing nervously. "Come on fellas, let's say at best... two out of three?"

Malice in their eyes, that's a hint they don't plan on showing mercy. They pull their triggers and you close your eyes, welcoming your demise. Seconds pass but the feeling of metal going through you never comes. You open your eyes to see a tall figure in black in front of you.