The lucky compass

As the Pogues where all save and sound back at the shore Kiara spoke up.

"What do you think it is?"
"Gotta be money, right?" John B assumed.

"That or a couple of keys with street value to the low-to mid-mils!" JJ commented.

Clara also wanted to make her guess, but before she could speak up and tell the group what she thought was in the bag Pope lost his shit.

"Can we please just open the bag?"

"Wow, Pope. That's a rare outburst of emotions." JB said surprised at the boys action. Actually all of the Pogues where taken by shock at the boy's behaviour.

"Okay. You guys are literally killing me with anticipation", Pope tried to explain himself.

"Open the bag."
"Jeez."

"We almost died over this", Pope said and Clara felt that. She had been quiet the whole time since they escaped their pursuers. She had never ever been in so much danger and the fact that she survived made her feel alive. More alive than she had ever felt in her entire life. Adrenaline had rushed through her body and she liked it. She liked the danger. She didn't like the boring ass kook life she lived. She felt like the Pogue life was calling her.

John B opened the bag and had a compass in his hands.

"Oh, wow. Yup. That's about right. Good job, everybody. We found a compass", Pope said sarcastically.

"Dude, what? It's not worth anything", JJ said disappointed while taking off his red cap.

"This was my father's", John B stated.

After finding his father's compass John B felt strengthened in his faith that his father wasn't dead like they tried to get him to believe for nine months. They say he's in denial. But denial's underrated. You should try it sometime. It's highly effective, and it's only denial if you're wrong. It didn't make any sense to John B. His dad was the last guy who would ever get lost at sea. And John B was convinced the compass coming back to him, his father's compass, which was passed down for generations, was a sign.
That his dad's still alive, and he's gonna find him.

After making sure John B was fine as fine as someone can be after finding something that belonged to a missing loved one his friends made their way home. Everyone of them heading in different direction except JJ he insisted on taking Clara home. Clara wasn't so fund of this idea, but she didn't want to walk home alone in the dark, so she agreed and deep down she wasn't so upset about it as it seemed. 

As they walked a while JJ started a conversation.

"So, how do you know John B?" The blond asked curious about the answer.

"JB and I were neighbours from time to time."

"You lived on the cut?" JJ questioned not really believing it because she was a Kook, but also cause he had never seen her around.

"Yup that's right so I am not that much of a Kook...", Clara said hating to be categorized.

"Yeah sure that's why we are heading to Figure Eight, right." The boy said sarcastically. 

"Whatever" Clara said sick of the whole Kook and Pogue thing. 

And then for a while no one said anything and the silence was very loud till Clara broke it.

"Why are you walking me home anyways?" She asked not understanding what was in it for him.

"Even if John B is mad at you. He cares a lot."

"What does that mean JB said you should?"

"Yeah but don't tell him I said that's supposed to be a secret - now it's our little secret", he said shooting her a seductive wink.