chapter 15

12 years in the future

"Thank you." I said as I signed Drakens death certificate.

"I'm so sorry for your loss." The nurse said as I nodded my head while picking up my handbag and placing it on my shoulder.

Walking out of the morgue, I met Chifuyu standing outside. "Ready to go?" He asked as I nodded my head and we both sat into the car.

Neither of us spoke on the way back to our home. It was silent.

"How could this happen?" Chifuyu asked breaking the silence between us both.

"I don't know... the only ones left are the two of us. It's only a matter of time before we're both dead." I said as Chifuyu placed a hand on my thigh while driving.

"I won't allow it. We're in this together." Chifuyu said to me as I smiled over at him.

"Yeah..." I said as we pulled into Chifuyus driveway. Parking the car, I got out and unlocked the front door to his home.

"Peke-J?" I asked as I turned on the light and saw the black cat standing in front of me.

"Hey baby." I said bending down while petting the cat at my feet before walking into the kitchen and taking out my phone.

"It just doesn't make any sense. How can Hakkai just stumble into a burning building?" I asked Chifuyu as he came up behind me while resting his head on my shoulder.

"Come on, we've both had a hard day. Let's just go to bed." Chifuyu said as I sighed and switched my phone off before turning around to Chifuyu.

"You're right." I said before slipping off my heels, I brought them upstairs with me as I took my hair down from the style it was in.

Grabbing some clothes from my wardrobe, I went into the bathroom to change and the wash my face.

Once I was done, I headed back into our room to see Chifuyu laying in the bed with his shirt off while scrolling through his phone.

"What's up?" I asked Chifuyu as I climbed in the bed beside him.

"I'm just worried for the both of us. I've already installed an alarm system on the house. I put gates up. We're the only two left. We're in this together." Chifuyu said as I crawled up beside him.

"You don't have to worry about me. Let's just get some sleep." I said to Chifuyu as he smiled and he kissed me on the cheek.

"Stop kissing me. We're not a couple." I said to Chifuyu as he laughed.

Closing my eyes, I felt myself fall asleep when I heard Chifuyu getting out of bed. I pretend to still be asleep and as soon as he left the bedroom, I slipped on a hoodie and followed him downstairs quietly.

I watched from the stairs as Chifuyu took out his computer. The light shone on his face as I walked the rest of the way down the stairs.

"Hey." I said as I sat down beside him at the kitchen counter. "Couldn't sleep?" I asked Chifuyu as he shook his head.

"I just don't get it. Why would Mikey go out of his way to do this? He wants everyone who knew about Toman dead." Chifuyu said as I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Well, we're both still here." I said to Chifuyu as he kissed my forehead with a smile.

As we both stayed up all night researching Mikey, I nodded off to sleep a little bit past 4am.

If I had known what would happen next, I wouldn't have fallen asleep.

Waking up the next morning, I saw that Chifuyu was no where to be seen. "Chifuyu?" I asked in confusion.

Walking around the house, I couldn't find Chifuyu anywhere. Everywhere I looked, he just wasn't there.

I called his phone, sent him texts and still nothing.

Going back to the kitchen, I saw that there was a note with my name on it. Opening up the note, I read the note and my eyes went wide in shock.

"to (y/n).

meet me at the abandoned building across the region. come alone and unarmed.

mikey."

Quickly, I grabbed some pants to wear and a pair of socks and shoes and immediately ran to my car. Starting up the engine, I drove as fast as I could to get there.

It's over an hour drive. I had to be quick. What if Chifuyus there?

Arriving, I stepped out of my car and slammed the door shut before I locked the car and walked inside the abandoned building.

"Hello?" I asked as I walked around.

"Chifuyu?! Mikey?! Where are you!!" I yelled as I heard something drop upstairs.

Running to the source of the noise, I saw Chifuyu all tied up with a cloth tied around his mouth so he couldn't talk.

"Chifuyu!!" I yelled as I ran towards him. "What happened?" I asked as I grabbed the piece of cloth from around his mouth and pulled it off.

"(Y/n)! Look out!" Chifuyu yelled as I was hit across the head and blacked out.

"You bastard! You said you wouldn't hurt her!!" Chifuyu yelled at Mikey.

"Like I said before, if she intervened you would both die." Mikey said as he picked up (Y/n) and dragged her away.

"Mikey! Stop!! Just kill me!! Let her live!!" Chifuyu pleaded as Mikey tied her up in a chair away from Chifuyu.

"I can't do that." Mikey said as Chifuyu tried his best to break free from the the ropes that bound him from the chair.

He screamed in agony as he felt rope burn on his wrists. "Shut it." Mikey said as he shot Chifuyu in the leg which only made him scream more.

"Mikey!! I'll see you in hell!!" Chifuyu yelled as he grabbed a canister of gasoline and spread it all over the floors and walls of the abandoned house.

"(Y/n)!! Wake up! Please!!" Chifuyu yelled as I slowly opened my eyes.

"Chifuyu!!" I yelled as Mikey dropped his lighter on the ground and the place began to burn in flames.

"Manjiro!! Don't do this!!" I screamed as the heat of the flames came closer to me.

"(Y/n)!! I never told you this but... I still love you! I never stopped loving you!! Ever since we parted ways 12 years ago, I've still loved you!! In another lifetime, please let me marry you!!" Chifuyu yelled.

"Chifuyu! When we became partners again a month ago, I felt at my happiest when I'm with you!! I'm so glad that we can die together today, because... I don't want to live in a world without you Chifuyu!" I shouted over to Chifuyu with tears falling from my cheeks as the flames grew closer to the both of us.

"I'm sorry Chifuyu!" I yelled as the flames consumed the both of us.

_________________________

"News just in, two people were found in the remains of a burning building. Their remains were identified by police as Chifuyu Matsuno and (Y/n) (L/n). Police are investigating the cause of these two deaths."

"Police have contacted the families of the victims and they will deeply missed by both friends and family. (L/n) was described as a fighter and a kind soul by her family and friends."

"Her partner, Matsuno was described as a loving and kind person. May they both rest in peace together."