Midnight Cuddles

3rd person's pov:

The stairs creeked slightly underneath Jeff's weight. It's somewhere around midnight and everyone has already retired for the night. Or so Jeff thought.

Jeff's pov: (or at least starts out that way...)

I was walking towards the kitchen to grab some water. I paused halfway down the hall, confused that the light was on. 'Who would be up?' Curious he came closer. Pausing at door. "Liu? Why are you still up?" The said boy jumped slightly before looking over his shoulder, a broom was in his hands. "Jeff? What are you doing here?" Jeff sighed slightly, comming closer to the younger boy. "I believe I asked you a question first." He said looking over his siblings features. 'What is he doing awake?' Liu ducked his head nervously, his grip on the broom tightening slightly. "Uh sweeping? But what are you doing?" Jeff ignored his brother's question and took notice of the bags under Liu's eyes. 'I guess, I know why Slender hasn't been pushing cleaning as much right now.'

"You should be asleep. You look like you haven't in weeks." Jeff gently took the broom away from his brother's hands. "No!" Jeff turned around from putting the broom away, surprised at his brother's unexpected outburst. Leaning the broom against the wall, I walked back over to Liu. Lifting his head to look at me. "Is something wrong." Liu's eyes widened slightly before he caught himself. "No, it's nothing." He said breaking the stare. I sighed frustrated at his stubbornness. I placed a hand on each of his shoulders, Liu's head snapped back to look at me. "I know you're lying Liu. You never look at me when you do." Liu's shield faltered slightly, allowing Jeff to see a glimpse of fear.

Realizing that Liu wasn't going to explain, Jeff gave in slightly. He took a hold of Liu's hand and lead him out of the room, turning off the light on the way out. He lead Liu to his room. "Get changed." He said releasing his sibling. "I-... what?" Liu stammered. One look from Jeff silenced him however. He yielded and slid into the room. Comming out after a minute or two, in a gray long-sleeve shirt and black sweatpants. Jeff took his hand again and lead him to his room this time. Opening the door he beckoned Liu inside. Liu stepped inside nervously. "You need to get some sleep." I said looking Liu in the eyes. "You realize I have my own room.... Right?" Liu said nervously twisting one of his sleeves. "Yes, but I know that you won't if I leave you alone." I said looking Liu eye to eye. I guided Liu to the bed and sat him down. "Lay down Liu." I said sitting beside him. Liu nervously did as I asked.

I laid down right beside him, wrapping him in my arms. Liu's head rested on my shoulder, but he was as stiff as a rock. I sighed seeing his discomfort. I started humming a song I used to sing to him when we were little. Bit by bit, Liu's tension slipped away. By the end of the song, he was fast sleep. I smiled gently and wrapped a blanket around him before cuddling him against me again.

About an hour later.

I was in a light sleep when I felt Liu shifting. I peeked open my eyes to check on him. Liu was shifting again like he's having a night terror. Sweat was gathering on his face, which was twisted into a scared look despite still being alseep. Liu ended up turning so he faced me, I took advantage of this by pulling him closer to me. Liu's hands unconsciously grabbed onto my shirt, pressing himself closer. I combed through his hair and spoke as calm as I could. Whispering gentle reassurances and promising that no one would hurt him while I was here. I was worried it wasn't enough, but surprisingly it was. Liu stopped shifting and calmed back down. I sighed in relief. 'That's probably why he hasn't been sleeping.' A few moments of making sure he was alright. And  I drifted back to sleep. Keeping my little brother close to me.