Midnight Snack

After their unexpectedly anxiety-filled afternoon, Zoe, Sam and Nat were putting groceries away while Steve pulled laundry out of the dryer. Something blue and lacy hit the floor and Zoe bent down to pick it up for him.

"I always thought you were more of a cobalt than a periwinkle, Rogers." Zoe smirked as she handed what was obviously a pair of Nat's underpants to him to add to the bag of clean clothes he was getting ready to take upstairs to fold. "Those look itchy for you..."

"Oh god, uh, those, those aren't mine, obviously..." Steve was purple. "I just figured it was easier to do all the washing together...oh god, this is so embarrassing."

"Obviously they're not yours." Zoe elbowed him. "Relax, I think it's sweet that you're doing everyone's laundry."

"Uh oh, did someone find out the difference between boys and girls?" Sam laughed as he came in from the garage where he had stashed some of the bigger items that didn't fit in the kitchen. "It's okay to have those 'funny feelings', Steve, I saw a Captain America video about it once in health class."

"Uh, hang on!" Zoe burst out laughing. "We SO did not have those Captain America videos! Pull it up on YouTube right the fuck now!"

"As you wish, m'lady!" Sam laughed harder as he pulled out his phone. "This is gonna be so awesome..."

"Please Sam..." Steve croaked. He wanted to curl into a ball and die right there. "At least wait until I'm upstairs?" He practically ran, slamming the guest room door behind him to try not to implode on the spot. Hearing Sam laughing so hard he could barely breathe, he didn't notice the door open behind him.

A minute later, Nat was showing him how wrong those old videos really were...

That night after everyone was asleep, Zoe wandered down to the kitchen to grab a snack. She was about to turn around to head back upstairs when she heard someone clear their throat.

"Midnight snack for you, too, Steve?" Zoe found him sitting on the couch in the dark. "You can turn a light on if you want, all the blinds are closed. No one will see you." She sat down next to him. "Want some?" She offered him a spoonful of Nutella from the jar.

"You eat it just like that?" Steve didn't mean to sound judgy, but it was sort of his baseline. "Sorry..."

"Don't be." Zoe snatched the spoon away from him. "More for me."

"Can't sleep?" He tried to recover. "I didn't wake you, did I?"

"No, your redheaded paramour was having a nightmare and woke me up." Zoe smirked at him with the spoon in her mouth.

"She told you?!" Steve whisper yelled. He put his hands over his face to try and hide the deep burning crimson. "Oh god..."

"Don't worry, your secret is safe with me, Rogers." Zoe said over another mouthful of chocolate hazelnut goodness. "Hell, I think it's great that you two have each other, especially right now. Can't imagine it's easy for either of you to meet people, even before you were on the run. It makes perfect sense, really. She's the most beautiful and deadly woman in the world, which in turn only makes her that much hotter, you're, well, you. Actually kinda surprised it took you this long."

"What does that mean?" Steve was trying to calm down, terrified that she would tell Sam and make things even more difficult. "Please, you can't tell Sam. Promise me you won't tell him!" Steve grabbed Zoe's shoulders. "Please Zoe, I'm begging you, don't say anything, it's already really intense being on the run, this would just make things worse."

"Why, because he'd be jealous, or because he'd never shut up about you two?" Zoe chuckled. "Relax, Steve. Nat told me last night. I promised her I wouldn't say anything, and frankly, I'm way more scared of her than you, no offense."