Section Five: A Shot at a brighter tomorrow.

You really gotta appreciate how people are buoyant. It's honestly impressive. I forgot who it was, but a comedian's face was practically burned off while working on a car. After being in the hospital for like four days, he was out and about cheering up the children in the hospital! Telling jokes and being kind, Everyone was so shocked that he was back on his feet so soon. Buoyancy. You can feel sorry for yourself and whine about it, or you can continue on in life and bring joy into the world. I admire that man and strive to be as buoyant as him someday.

- The Eye Reader.

The upcoming week feels dull, like my soul is still out in the woods and in the hospital. I can only see my arms covered in blood and red paint, my suit torn to save the life of a boy I only knew for a few weeks. It feels like I'm in a dream and that nothing happening is real, but reality never lies. Thankfully, Eugene will recover fully. I don't know how long that will take, but it means that it will happen sometime soon.

Wednesday is noticeably more empty than usual, as are most of the other students. The boys who put paint in the fire sprinklers are now doing community service, and apparently, one of them had asked Enid to the dance and wanted to cancel it. He is now working off his sentence at Nevermore. I had the chance to talk to him and half-heartedly apologized for hitting his friend. He said it was fine and that he had decided to change his ways. I shared some words of wisdom with him, he seemed to appreciate it.

Tuesday, I visited Eugene at the hospital. Although he was still unconscious, I thought it was worth the effort. I brought him yellow, orange, and white flowers because I heard he likes bees, and these colors represent hope, creativity, and purity, which I thought were fitting for him and his battle. When I walked in, I saw Wednesday sitting next to Eugene, who was still unconscious. "I'm glad you're here," I told her, setting the flowers on a nearby desk. "How are you holding up?" I took a seat next to her. Wednesday's hands were resting on her lap as she sat and stared at Eugene. "I'm fine," she muttered. We sat silently for what seemed like an eternity. "Thank you for helping me that night," she said, looking over at me. Her eyes were hard to read, but I could tell she was suffering from guilt. I had never seen Wednesday cry, and I doubted I ever would, but this was probably as close as I would ever get. "Of course, Wednesday," I nodded humbly. "He's my friend too. I know he's going to get better, but it's a shame he has to battle through this alone." Wednesday looked down sorrowfully. "It's my fault," she said quietly, her voice almost wavering. "It should be me in that bed." I put an arm around her shoulder, not sure if she wanted it or not, but I did it anyway. "Wednesday, you were put in an awkward situation," I comforted her. "You told him not to go, and he didn't listen. While it's sad he didn't listen, it's not your fault." Wednesday continued to stare at Eugene. I sighed. "I'm happy you stayed behind," I reassured her. "We would be screwed if we lost both of you." Wednesday shook her head. "Thank you for the comfort, but if I had gone, I could have saved him," she said in a still monotone voice.

I shake my head. "You are a strong girl, Wednesday." My body turned towards her. "But this... prophecy thing." I put my head in my hand. "If you play a role in whatever this is, we need you alive. You're going to lead us to victory." Wednesday turns her body to look at me. "How do you know I will?" She says, her eyes peering into my soul. "I could be the reason it burns." I shake my head and lean back. "You could. Or you could be the one who makes things right." She looks down, clearly thinking. "Why are you here, Logan?" She asks the question yet again, like the first time we spoke. "In the middle of this chaos, you show up and have faith in me? No one has ever believed me to be the good guy. And frankly, I'm not." She turns to me yet again. "So I ask again: why are you here?" I look at her, then the ground. My hands are clasped together. "When you first asked me, I didn't know." My voice is slow, with minor trembles in between. "I said it was fate, and while it still is, my purpose here is to protect you, Wednesday." Wednesday looks at me, her eyes slightly widening. "I know what you're thinking. 'I don't need to be protected.' I know. But to me, it's clear as day." I look at her with determination in my eyes. "You're a lone wolf in a way. You don't like society. Me neither." I say, nodding. "But you're still a social being, a teenage girl who just wants to be  appreciated and loved." Wednesday looks like she wants to protest but continues to listen. "I see you, while I can't read eyes. I haven't been able to read yours completely. But getting to know you, I can say with certainty that you're not a monster. A monster doesn't listen to her roommates' requests. A monster doesn't care about hurting a friend's feelings. A monster doesn't run into the forest, in a dress and heels, to save her friend. While you struggle socially, it only takes a little bit to understand what you really mean." I put my hand on her shoulder. "I'm here to help Wednesday. Let me help." Wednesday looks at me with eyes that could almost say thank you. She nods. "Thank you, Logan. I'm glad we met." I smile at her. "Of course." I get up and turn around. "Want a ride back to Nevermore?" I ask. Wednesday, looking at the floor, says "No thank you, I'll be here a little longer." I respect her choice and head back to school.