chapter 3

Violet stepped out of the taxi, followed by Lucy and Lockwood right after. The red-haired girl adjusted her rapier on her belt, rolling out her ankles lightly before she continued on.

"Alright. I'm going to test you on the plans in random order. You never know which one we'll need and when. It's vital we can communicate quickly and clearly in as few words as possible," Lockwood said, mostly to Lucy as she was new.

"That's a good start. Took you 30 words to explain what you're about to do."

"Don't be facetious, Lucy. We really don't have time."

Violet grinned, chewing on a piece of mint gum, "Oh there's always time for that, Lock."

Lockwood threw her an amused look that she assumed was supposed to be scolding, "Plan C."

"Plan C means whoever isn't in combat makes a defensive circle. Plan E means you fight the visitor with Vi. I deal with the source. Vi and I are interchangeable. Plan D is the other way around, still interchangeable with Vi. Plan B is salt bombs. Plan A is lavender water, and Plan F is greek fire, which should only ever be used indoors under carefully controlled circumstances," Lucy listed off.

"Ten out of ten."

"There were only six."

"Damn. I'll have to think of another four."

Violet patted his arm, "Oh, my dearest Lockwood, you might as well finish off the rest of the alphabet."

"I thought you said their wasn't time to be facetious," Lucy said.

Violet shrugged, "And I said there's always time."

Lockwood checked his wrist watch, "Besides, we're slightly ahead of schedule."

They approached the front door and dropped their bags on the floor.

"Are you sure this is the right address?" Lucy asked.

"62 Sheen Road. Mrs. Hope. Quarter to six on the dot," Lockwood rang the doorbell before knocking heavily.

Violet tilted her head side to side before pausing when she saw a shadow through the foggy glass. She didn't know why but it made her uncomfortable.

Lockwood smiled, "Ah. Here she comes."

"Wouldn't be so sure," Violet commented.

"Why do you say that?"

"Are you from the agency?" an old woman asked from behind them.

Violet turned on her heel, "Just a hunch."

"Mrs. Hope?" Lockwood presumed, approaching the woman, "I'm Anthony Lockwood. These are my colleagues, Violet Summers and Lucy Carlyle. We've come about your problem. Care to show us inside?"

Mrs. Hope tensed up, "Oh no, I won't set foot inside there. Not since my husband passed. Not since...how he passed. The disturbances have been very persistent. I'm going to sell it, but it needs fixing first."

"That is exactly what we do," Lockwood gave her a charming smile.

"Locate the visitor, contain the source. A safe space means a satisfied customer," Lucy added.

"Shouldn't you have a supervisor? I thought an adult had to be present at an investigation."

"Strictly speaking, the law states that an adult's only required if operatives are undergoing training. But we don't find it necessary."

"To be honest, adults are pretty useless anyway," Lucy commented.

Violet nudged her and whispered, "Ain't that the truth."