chapter 37

It had been a total of two weeks since Violet had left Lockwood & Co and began to travel around with Flo. Flo had gotten in the habit of calling Violet her 'assistant relic girl'. Violet found she didn't mind it that much. It wasn't as bad as she thought. Relic hunting, that is. Sure, there could be some danger, but it gave her the thrill she craved.

Violet was still very hesitant to go within a few feet of the water, even though their route was along the river and sometimes they would use a boat too. Flo never judged her or said a thing about her fears though. Violet had explained a little bit.

However, the one thing Violet wouldn't talk about was what had caused her to leave Lockwood. Flo had tried to bring it up multiple times but Violet would just say that it was her fault and she was an idiot. Flo sincerely doubted that was the case because of how pained she would look whenever it was brought up. Lockwood must have done something. Flo knew how that boy could be. But Violet was the type to blame everything on herself and force all the pain on her shoulders.

But whatever had happened, Flo was more than happy to have Violet's company. Violet was really good and dedicated. She always had Flo's back in a pinch. The two girls had become close in those few weeks and Flo had managed to lighten up Violet's mood exponentially. Never pitied her either when her after effects of hypoxia showed. She just moved on like it was normal and nothing had happened.

Violet was grateful to the girl for taking her in. And for not telling Lockwood about where she was.

~

Meanwhile, at Lockwood & Co, everything was tense. The three remaining members were barely talking to each other. Well, it was more that George and Lucy weren't talking to Lockwood. They were pissed at him for driving Violet out.

George and Lucy had both found their letters on their beds. They would read them quietly every single day. Every night before bed. They would think about the writing on those pages constantly. Lucy especially.

When Lucy came home to find that letter, she was heartbroken. Devastated beyond belief. She had nearly ran out of the house after to go and find Violet on her own. But George and Lockwood talked her out of it and pointed out they had no idea where she could be or how long she had been gone for.

Lockwood...well Lockwood was closed off. Depressed. He didn't do much talking either. Not even when they would yell at him or blame him. Perhaps it was because he knew it was his fault and he blamed himself too.

Lockwood replayed his fight with Violet over and over in his head. He remembered the moment she was brought to tears because of him. How she had--rightfully--hit him and ran out.

He held tightly onto that necklace she left every single day. He had come into his room and seen it sitting there all alone on his bed. Something so precious to him. But it felt like it had lost so much meaning now that it no longer hung around Violet's neck. It brought more pain than it did memories.

And he always wondered why Violet had never left a letter for him. But, deep down, he knew that the gesture of leaving this necklace said more than she ever could have with her words on a piece of paper.

They all wanted Violet to come home, but they had no way to look for her. She had left no clues for them to follow. Violet didn't have any family or previous home to return to. Just them. The home that had failed her.

Lockwood had failed her. And now there was nothing he could do to fix it.

~

Flo slept in one of the bedrooms of the house she had a key to. She was soundly sleeping and completely relaxed after the long day.

But Violet still had a hard time sleeping. It had gotten even worse after leaving. It was always so cold and she found herself wishing that she could be in Lockwood's arms just one more time. But she couldn't go back there anymore. Not now. She left because she had to find something. And she hadn't found it yet. And she wouldn't go back until she did.