Epigraph

Cyrus

"Hurry up Christian!" Cyrus urged. The cold air was already making him regret not wearing a jacket.

Within the darkness, Cyrus could make out Christian bringing his index finger to his lips instructing him to be quiet. Remembering where they were, Cyrus obeyed, standing in the doorway with a less than amused expression as he tried not to freeze to death.

Christian quietly shut the microwave, its light illuminating a small enough area for Cyrus to see the mountain of snacks in his and Aiden's arms. No way they were going to eat all of that. Cyrus didn't even know where Cyrus's mothers kept all these snacks in the first place. His only concern was the fresh batch of cookies they stole from the oven the second everyone else went to sleep.

Would they get scolded for it tomorrow? Yes. Would it be worth it? Yes.

Christian turned off the microwave right before it could alarm and wake the rest of the house up to their heist. Grabbing the bag, he shoved it in his arms like everything else and hurried over to the door Cyrus was keeping open.

"How did you get this to work anyways?" Aiden asked following behind.

Walking through himself, Cyrus took in the sight before them. They entered the forest a few meters away from where the new bridge was being rebuilt, the glistening moon casting down an ethereal glow on their setup.

Dozens of unlit candles rummaged through the ground near a large picnic blanket, a projector, and Cyrus's laptop. In front of that was a white blanket draped in front of the trees serving as their big screen for the night.

"I added a door," Cyrus answered Aiden indicating to the door he had to drag and nail to one of the trees here in order for him to use his powers to get them here. Only being able to teleport through doorways, windows, and bodies of water didn't sound as tedious as it actually was. Either way, now, they had their own little spot away from everything else.

Aiden ran his hand through the grass, stopping at the three gravestones cemented in the earth near them. Aiden's own was in the middle; it was his idea in the first place. Next to it, on either side were two stones that read 'Mr. and Mrs. Moreno'. Even though they weren't completely sure where their bodies were buried yet, it was a way to bring them closer as a family in spirit.

Cyrus watched as the candles near the grave all lit up in unison, followed by those around the blanket.

"Yep, totally a fire hazard," Christian said.

"Are we going to worry about that or are we going to watch whatever snoozefest Cyrus grabbed?" Aiden asked.

"You were the one that helped me pick it!" Cyrus followed the two over to the blanket, sitting next to the computer to load the movie. "You two can watch, I'm only here for the cookies."

They all laughed, settling comfortably in their positions.

As the opening credits played, a strong gust picked up the leaves around them. Cyrus could have sworn that during it, he heard what sounded like horses galloping behind them. 

Startled, he whipped his head around to see nothing was there. Christian watched the movie unassumingly, leaving Cyrus to question whether or not his mind was playing tricks on him. Aiden on the other hand, looked back the same time Cyrus did, both sharing a similar confused glance.