18

"I would like to be a bounty hunter." I state with conviction. The lady with short hair stares at me with zero expression. Her eyes hold no emotion. I cannot tell if it unnerves me or gives me some sense of relief.

"This is the adventurers guild. We don't provide bounty's. Bounty's are on the board."

There's that same blank expression. In some sense she reminds me of myself. The self I'm trying so hard not to be. I force a smile. It physically makes me cringe after.

"Can I leave my name here? Incase there are any requests?" She simply nods at my request.

"My name is Y/n." Again she nods.

"My name is Katherine. I will send for you if someone requests your services. Don't die." Shivers travel down my spine at the two words.

"I don't plan on it." I say as I turn on my heels.

It took me only a week to reach Mondstadt the land of freedom. Freedom. I hope it isn't just an empty promise. I try my hardest to not think about Zhongli. But his voice plays over and over again in my head. I think of Hu-Tao often. Childe not regularly. Mostly when I see a hillichurl slamming it's head into the ground.

I lean against my pole arm as I read the papers attached to the large wooden board. People chatter behind me. Meaningless talk.

The first bounty to catch my eye is a fatui camp. If I'm going to make a name for myself then I should start somewhat big. Hillichurls are easy unless in a horde. Fatui are on a larger scale. Harder to kill.

I rip the paper off and stick it in my pocket.

"So the rumors are true." An annoying voice chimes behind me, followed by a strum of a lyre.

"Muratas alive." I bite into my lip and turn. A short boy with braids on either side of his head smiles up at me. I can tell by his form he's taken on that it's Barbatos. The sick fuck always liked to take on a form of someone dead.

"It's Y/n. And Muratas as good as dead. I don't have my gnosis anymore." I spit with venom. Although he's one of the nicer Archons, his care free personality has always rubbed me wrong.

"Ah what a waste of perfectly bad taste." He says in a sing-song way.

"I don't have time for your riddles today Barbatos."

"It's Venti now. Much like you I've taken on a new name. We're a lot alike. Y/n." I decide to ignore his smart ass use of my name.

"I have somewhere to be so goodbye. Venti." I kick the end of my pole arm and it slings over my shoulder.

"You should know that there's still hope." He says . To what he's referring to I don't care to ask.

—-

My breath comes out in little clouds. The cold slithering it's way like a snake under my layers of clothes. Dragonspine. A place I haven't seen in a century. It was just a dragons corpse the last time I saw it. Now it's covered in mountains and snow. Cold and dead. Befitting for what lays beneath it.

The Fatui members, four to be exact, circle around the small fire. Two tents lay on either side of it. One carry's a large hammer and the other three hold some type of ice machines in their hands.

I'll kill them. No telling how many adventurers or bystanders have been murdered for their own gain.

Easy, Darling.

Gods. Get out of my head. His voice still plagues me like a disease. And as much as I want every fragment of him gone.

I still love hearing his voice.