Chapter 9

I made the request the next day. It was a simple request that would cost nobody anything. I wanted a seat on the Council, not just be a cupbearer for them.

My argument was simple, heirs before I had a place. Granduncle Aemon and Grandfather were both part of the Council while they were heirs and had the unique opportunity to learn from Great Grandfather on how to run the realm. I wanted the same treatment, to learn from my father and his Council.

Father was slightly hesitant, unwilling to expose me to the politics of the throne so early. But the Grand Maester had seen the wisdom in my request, as had the Hand of The King. Of course, what their motives were, I didn't have a clue. But with their support, I was able to convince my father, which was enough for me.

Serving Wine for the council was boring work, actually taking part in them had me fighting sleep most times. Maybe joining was not such a good idea after all.

---

I entered the room behind Father before the meeting began. The rest of the Councilmen were already there, only standing to greet my father and I. Father took the seat at the head of the table. On his right was Ser Otto Hightower, while on the right was my seat. That was the seat my Uncle had. But since he would no longer be using it, I was occupying it instead.

Each of the Council Members placed their marbles on the tray before them. I had one too, a marble which was a little bigger than the size of a golf ball. It was black unless you hold it near a source of light and you can see the hints of red mixed in it. It was fascinating to look at. I placed mine after Father let out a small cough. I had gotten too lost in the marvel of the marble to notice that the rest were waiting for me. It was amusing to them if the looks on their faces were anything to go by.

The first order of business was of the Kingsguard.

"Ser Ryam was a strong Lord Commander of the Kingsguard" my father spoke. "But he was ill for some time. He passed in peace I hope."

"Yes, Your Grace" the Grand Maester nodded his head slowly. "He was found to have passed gently in his sleep."

I knew Ser Ryam well. As a child coming to visit Great Grandfather and Grandfather I would be told stories of the Knights that served in the Kingsguard. Ser Ryam was considered the greatest knight of his day, accomplished at sword and lance. He was a squire while his father served as Great Grandfather's Master of Ships and is said to have won multiple tourneys in his prime. The most famous of those was his joust against Ser Clement Crabb on Great Grandfather's fiftieth year of reign, where the duo broke thirty lances against each other before being proclaimed co-champions. He had served as Hand of The King as well for only a year as that was the one thing he could not only shine in but also be capable of handling.

"The succeeding Lord Commander, Ser Harrold would like to make haste in finding Ser Ryam's replacement on the Kingsguard" the Maester let us know. I smiled at that, Ser Harrold deserved the position he was in right now. He was fiercely loyal and a capable man.

"Your Grace. My Lords. The Kingsguard must soon be restored to its full complement of Seven" Ser Harrold spoke from his place in the room. "With the help of the Hand, I've invited a number of fine candidates to court. All have passed fair trials."

"It will not be easy to find a replacement for a Knight of Ser Ryam's capabilities. His absence will surely be felt" I spoke, the Lords of the Council nodding their heads in agreement. None of them doubted the capabilities of the former Kingsguard.

"Lord Corlys reports that the Triarchy has made a move on our men," Lord Strong said. "Eight ships lost, four of them flying the banners of House Velaryon."