Chapter 16

The perfect game of chess isn't the one where all the pieces on the board survive, it is the one where all the pieces are used to their fullest capabilities. Each piece had its uses and the one manipulating these pieces should be able to use these pieces wisely.

Similar to war-simulating games, the actual war did not have scenarios where there was no loss of life. It was a truth that every soldier knew when they marched out to war. Every last one of them was ready to embrace death should death come for them. All that mattered to them and those that led them was that their sacrifices would not be in vain and that their cause would come out victorious.

But there are times when loss of life can be avoided, times when an army can pull through without being cut down, but for such scenarios, it is the same as raising a snake. You can care for it all you want, but eventually, a time will come when it will bite you. An army that wins a battle with minimal to no casualties is celebrated at first before the realization dawns on them that they might have fallen into some form of a trap and were at risk of complete annihilation now. A smart commander always takes such situations into mind when he plans out an attack or mounts a defence, thinking about the future where things won't backfire on them.

In such circumstances, the commander has to make a decision, to sacrifice the few for the greater good. Or in some cases sacrifice to the one to begin the collapse that would end the enemies.

---

Ser Otto Hightower, Hand of The King, stared at his hands in deep thought. The information he had received, it was like a goldmine for the man. One stone to be rid of two birds. But the only issue was how he was going to break it to the King. There was no way that the man would take such news silently. But he also knew how to play the man, ease him into such devastating revelations. He had been doing it for quite some time after all.

***

"Come."

The doors to the King's chambers opened to reveal the Hand of The King, looking serious if not a little unsure. He shut the door behind him and approached his King slowly.

"What is it?" his King asked.

"I apologize for the early hour, Your Grace. I have, um... discomforting news. I thought it best shared discreetly before the council convenes."

"What is it now? Is it The Sea Snake? I'm sure we've dealt with that problem already, Otto."

"I'm afraid it concerns the Princess, my King."

The King's brows furrowed, posture changing from an agitated one to an alert and concerned one.

"Has she been harmed?"

The Hand of the King opened his mouth, but no words came out of them. He looked away from his King, his head lowered.

"It is no easy thing to tell a father of his daughter's exploits. I had considered saying nothing, but–"

"What has she done?"

"The Princess was spied last evening... beyond the walls of the Keep... in a pleasure house."

"What of it?"

"She was carrying on with her uncle. They were engaged in behaviours unbecoming of a maiden... of a Princess."

The King was stunned into silence, swaying gently on his feet as he stared his second in command down.

"What behaviours?"

"Well, must I say it, Your Grace?"

"You enter my bed chamber accusing my daughter of something. Now speak it... plainly."