Chapter 14

The guests inside the tent were still as rowdy as they were when I had left, meaning they were having a muffled conversation with one another that made it seem like the entire tent was humming like a hive of bees. The noise was headache-inducing and I was so close to having one.

I found Father standing near his throne, talking to the aster of Laws, Lord Lyonel. The matter seemed serious, both face unemotional yet showed hints of distress from time to time. I approached them with haste in my steps.

"Hopefully I'm not interrupting something here" I spoke to get the men's attention. Father smiled at me while Lord Lyonel gave a nod of recognition. "Lord Lyonel, I wish to speak to my father in privacy please."

"Of course, Princess" the Master of Laws inclined his head before walking away.

"What's wrong?" Father asked, brows creased and eyes portraying worry.

"You tell me" I replied simply. My father sat down and I stood beside the throne he was sitting on. "The matter you were discussing with Lord Lyonel seemed grave in nature."

"Nothing for you to worry about dear, just Lords and their larger-than-self egos" Father smiled.

"Lord Corlys?" I raised a brow.

"What gave it away?"

"He's the only one who I know that feels like the world owes him."

"Lord Corlys did not take the Council of 101 lightly. And I fear once he returns from war, he would not take lightly of me marrying Alicent instead of his daughter."

"And you fear that he might do something drastic?" I asked and my father nodded. "I will guess that Lord Lyonel is suggesting that I marry my cousin Laenor to appease Lord Corlys since a direct line to the throne is the only way to keep him happy."

"His exact words" Father sighed.

"That is singularly the worst idea that the man could supply to you. A sound yet stupid one if one is not aware of Laenor's nature" I stated bluntly. "Laenor prefers the companionship of men over women, he always has. Aunt Rhaenys knows it, Lord Corlys ignores it in hopes that he will grow out of it. But it is not something one can grow out of."

"If you were to marry us, Laenor would not perform the duties to the extent where he would get me with child. And without a child of my own, my position as heir will be shakier than it already is. I will not take a risk as big as that, Father. I am sorry but I refuse to marry my cousin."

"I'm not surprised you have thought about this. You're like your Great Grandfather in that regard, always thinking before acting" Father chuckled. "So tell me, any of the men here catch your fancy? I've seen Lord Jason eyeing you ever since you walked in."

"Any man with a taste for women has eyed me since I walked in, Father, be it married men who do so discreetly or single but powerful men who do it openly" I shrugged. "As for Lord Jason, he is an arrogant and materialistic show-off who thinks he's better than the rest because of his wealth and status. He believes he can have whatever he wants because he is rich. He lives in his cups, enjoys eyeing women when he thinks they're not noticing and talks big."

"So he's not suitable either ten?" my father sighed.

"I didn't say that" I smiled. "Above all of that, he is the Lord of Casterly Rock and the Warden of The West. He commands a strong host of what, Fifty or Sixty thousand men? Maybe even more once we count the Lannister fleet. He would make for a strong ally."

"Ally? Rhaenyra why are you looking for allies?" My father asked. "The War in The Stepstones will be over soon enough and the realm will be at peace once more."