Chapter 13: Reaching

They both ended up in the hospital.

Sam was whisked away by an ambulance pretty much as soon as the paramedics realized there was a knife sticking out of his chest.  They bundled him up on a stretcher, someone already taking over chest compressions and starting an IV.  It was like clockwork, and Colby was grateful for it.

Even though Sam hadn't had a pulse the last time he checked before Sam slipped from his arms.

None of them were allowed to come along.  One of the paramedics who'd remained behind instructed them to follow the ambulance to the hospital, explaining they really needed all the room in the back of the ambulance to try to save Sam's life.  Katrina especially was upset, but accepted it with a tight lipped nod.

Of course, Colby probably needed the hospital trip too.  Once Sam was gone, the paramedics seemed to realize how messed up he was.  They offered to drive him to the hospital as well, but Colby declined.

They were all going to the hospital anyway.  Stas or Kat could drive him.

Stas volunteered to drive Sam's car back to their house. She said that she'd meet them there and grab an Uber or something.

Colby and Kat didn't fight her.  They both wanted to get to the hospital as quickly as possible.

John came up to them after Stas left.  There was so much apology in the man's face.  Katrina wouldn't look at him, but Colby just gave him a tight lipped nod when he verbally apologized again.

He knew it wasn't the man's fault.  Sam had done this of his own free will.  Maybe.  Or maybe he'd been influenced by the demon.  He really didn't know.

He just knew that they had been trying to save Sam and now it was possible Sam was dead.  More than possible.

He wasn't sure Sam was even alive right now.

Fuck, they needed to get to the hospital...

The paramedics helped get Colby to Kat's car, and Colby saw the worried looks they exchanged when they caught a look at the extent of his injuries.  He crossed his arms over his chest.  He felt way too naked without the hoodie, the lacerations on his chest fully visible again.

Not like he would have changed his decision but...

"You sure you're good to drive?" Colby asked Kat as they pulled away from the house.  Fuck, he never wanted to see this place again... "You hit your head really hard."

"Honestly, I don't even feel it," Kat said, and there was a certain tightness to her voice.  Her hands were tight on the wheel.  She'd washed them a little bit, but Colby could still see the blood dried in her cuticles.

Sam's blood.

"Okay..." Colby conceded.  His wrist and ankle ached.  His ankle was so swollen.  He could feel it underneath the wrappings.  He wondered just how fucked up it was.

He'd find out soon enough.

They were in the waiting room for almost two hours.  It was long enough that Stas had gotten back to them.  She'd even brought him a shirt and hoodie from the house, which he accepted gratefully.

He'd hated the looks he was getting.  Because he knew what the lacerations on his ribs looked like.

They didn't look like an accident at all.

They finally pulled him back after about three hours of waiting.  Three hours of waiting not just to see someone, but to hear about Sam.  He asked, Kat asked.

No one had any news.

"Fuck..." Colby muttered, closing his eyes and tilting his head back as the guy taking care of them injected the numbing. Most of the lacerations had scabbed over and would heal fine on their own.  There was one on his thigh that Chris, the Physician Assistant seeing them, thought would heal better with stitches.