Chapter 20: Ghosts (Part 1)

Katrina watched Sam as they approached the cemetery.

It was Sam. Of that she had no doubt. She'd been watching his eyes for six years. She could tell it was Sam she was talking to, Sam she'd been supporting and loving since he'd woken up in the hospital.

Sam who could apparently see ghosts now.

Sam who might be telekinetic.

Sam's hands were sitting on the tops of his thighs, his fingers occasionally tightening on his legs.

"I love you." She'd promised. "I'm here for you."

"I know." He'd answered, but Kat wasn't quite sure he believed her. It hurt, but she couldn't really blame him.

Sam still blamed himself for everything that had happened, she knew that. And if anything still lingered from the demon...

Sam didn't hurt her, or Colby, or Stas. He wouldn't. He'd proven that. The stitched up wounds on his chest proved that.

She had faith that any abilities he'd gained from the possession he would only use for... well, good.

If it was all true of course. They would find out soon.

"I love you," She said, breaking the tense quiet that had fallen between them. She didn't know how else to express to him that nothing had changed with them. That she would be with him no matter these new abilities.

No matter if something from the demon lingered.

Because she trusted him to tell her the instant he didn't think he was safe.

"I love you too..." He breathed, "I just..." He cut himself off, and Kat watched him shudder. "I just don't want to hurt anyone ever again."

"You won't." Kat promised, seeing the first signs for the cemetery come into view.

"How can you know that?" Sam asked, terror clear in his voice.

Katrina reached for his chest, letting her palm rest over his heart. Over the wound still healing there. "Because you already proved to me what you would do to keep me safe," She answered.

She loved him, And they would work this out.

She was confident in that at least.

She heard the doubtful sigh in Sam's voice, but the first few rows of the cemetery came into view, and he stiffened under her hand.

"Sam?"

It was a quiet Wednesday afternoon, and Katrina's eyes roamed over the solemn rows of stone graves, their lines unbroken except for the occasional tree.

She slowed the car to turn into the cemetery's parking lot, her eyes moving between the road and her boyfriend.

Because Sam was looking out at the cemetery too, but there was a quiet sort of dread on his face.

"Sam?"

The second repeat of his name seemed to catch his attention, and he looked at her. "Busy day for a Wednesday," He commented, but there was something behind his voice, telling her that he was unsure of what he'd said.

Katrina swallowed. "What do you mean?" Was he making a joke? Or was he seeing...

Her question seemed to confirm something for Sam. "So... you don't see them?"

She shook her head slowly, chancing another look around them, looking again to see if there was something that she was missing.

But her gaze was only met with trees and tombstones.