needing comfort (v.c.)

a/n: idk how i feel about jenna's met gala look. like yes, but also no. but it was wayy better than last years im sorry but that hot pink thing was atrocious.

You were brushing your teeth and getting ready for bed when Amelia texted you.

Amelia: y/n come over. vada hasn't slept in days

You: be there in 15

You sighed and stared at your phone background. It was a picture of you and Vada, her eyes closed and her lips against your cheek. Before the shooting, when she was happy. You smiled sadly, then shut it off and got ready to leave.

The shooting had caused Vada to distance herself from you, and while you understood that, you missed her. You haven't texted her since last week, and any response from her was short and half-hearted.

When you arrived at the Cavells' house, Amelia all but shoved you towards Vada's room. Hesitantly, you knocked softly. In all honesty, you were afraid of what you would see behind her door, as it's been weeks since you've seen her.

"Go away, Amelia. I don't wanna talk," the muffled voice of your girlfriend said.

"It's me, Vads," you spoke tenderly.

Silence.

You sighed and opened her door, and your heart sank at the sight of her. Maybe giving her this much space wasn't the best idea. Her room was dark, devoid of any light, and clothes were strewn about all over the floor. And there, in the middle of her bed, curled up into a ball, was Vada. She was slightly shaking and her eyes were shut tightly.

"Oh, Vada," you sighed. Her eyes slowly opened, but they never met yours. Her usual bright and lively brown eyes were weighed down with dark, heavy bags beneath them.

You approached her bed and sat on the edge.

"What are you doing here?" she croaked. She fiddled with the sleeve of her sweatshirt, and still avoided any sort of eye contact.

"Just...checking up on you. And I miss you, V."

"I'm fine."

You scooted closer to her and took her hand in yours, brushing her knuckles with your thumb.

"You know, I'm always, always gonna be here for you, right?"

She opened her mouth as if to say something, but ultimately swallowed it down.

"Please look at me, Vada."

And for the first time in weeks, her eyes met yours. As your eyes locked together, you truly saw how broken she was. You wordlessly cupped her cheeks and rubbed her brow with your finger. She let out a small sigh, and her tense expression began to soften at the comforting touch.

"C'mon, you should get some sleep, my love," you told her.

You removed your shoes and got into her bed, opening your arms for her to join you. She rested her head against your chest and sighed deeply in content. Her arms snaked around your waist while she nestled deeper into your embrace. You brushed the knots out of her hair with your fingers, and pressed little kisses to her head every few minutes.

"I'm sorry, Y/N," Vada whispered after a while.

"For what?"

"Pushing you away."

"You don't have to be sorry, Vads, I get it."

She said nothing. You resumed combing her hair, trying to coax her to sleep.

"I love you, Y/N."

You smiled and squeezed her tighter.

"I love you too," you whispered back.

She giggled softly and poked your side, playfully.

"Go to sleep already, Vada."

"Okay, okay," she laughed.