22.

* * ☾ * *

King Romulus' POV

For the last several days, Romulus had been utterly miserable. Not only have there been no leads of the Queen's whereabouts, but there hasn't been a single Rogue sighting since her disappearance from the Red Moon pack.

Alpha Stephen has been defiant at every turn, and that meant that the pack mates were just as upset, if not discouraged to help the traveling Enforcers just wanted to check in—All under his own orders.

Yet they were met with what they described as hatred, both wolf and human.

In the current moment, Romulus had traded in his traveling gear for something more fitting to his title. And goddess, he wished for a reason to escape the festivities set before him, as if he needed another reminder that he was getting older without the keen traditions left unchecked.

As of yet, he still doesn't have a female to give the Kingdom as Luna.

Without that, he's unable to offer pups.

Not to mention that he has yet to settle the impending threat of the Rogue King. That was just the ongoing issues on his mind, and he would rather gouge out his eyes with a rusty spoon than continue these formalities. And thus, ended up on the golden throne that once belonged to the only person that he could truly say was good.

"My King, you are meant to be socializing, dancing with the females to secure alliances with their families." Wilhelm chided and Romulus hid his grin just behind his hand as he continued to stroke his chin. "I humored the idea of a party, Advisor, but I didn't say anything about taking part in the festivities." He returned, causing the human to duck his head, realizing that he spoke out of turn.

"Perhaps just a dance then, the females are quite beautiful. She-wolves and humans alike." Now that had caused the king to still, Romulus' cheek tighten at the first grit of his teeth in the same moment he curled his fist.

"What a pity they aren't the one female I want."

"Sir, the Enforcers are working effortlessly to find the Healer. But even then, what would her title mean for your reign?" A snort followed the question as Romulus licked his teeth.

"It sounds to me that you are worried about your position as my advisor, I've heard nothing but good remarks from either Ray and Clive. Which reminds me, when all is settled, they will come forward and join the court. As will Healer Rhea." Now that the conversation had switched from the Queen, a secret that Romulus wasn't too sure he was comfortable with sharing outside a collected group of those closest to him.
But then Wilhelm had thought he was safe from taking a twist, but the smile on the King's face had grown outright.

"What position did you have in mind that they could join the court, sir?"

"Advisors or Councilmen, I haven't decided yet."

"B-but sir! I need no help, I am capable of providing s-solutions. What benefit would there be with more minds colliding?"
"Just that, I need another type of voice in my ear. One that isn't afraid of leaving the Palace walls. Besides, Clive is still young. I would enjoy seeing him getting a proper education." Wilhelm swallowed his next breath as though the entirety of his world is crashing down.

"That is...Of course, if you decide to continue to speak about a need for a female or interact with them. Perhaps then I can keep you on board."

"O-of course sir, I mean no disrespect. Just reminding you of what the council—"

"I know what the council has said, but they are the very votes that are stalling the hunt for the healer and what might very well be the territory that the Rogues are hiding in. Had you emphasized the fact that the rescued survivors spoke about mining silver, none of them seemed to care. Perhaps I should have them organize the rest. Let myself indulge in their daughters instead." A wolfie-like grin had started to grow on the King's face that Wilehm could only respond by falling back a step.