(Dis)Respect

"Tum theek ho na?" Ram asked Priya for the millionth time. They were headed to a ceremony where he would receive the award for "India's Best Industrialist" for the 10th year in a row. This was also the first time since their marriage, separation, and reunion that Ram had been awarded, and therefore the first time Priya was able to accompany him. He was dressed in a tuxedo, while Priya was wearing a white ballgown.

 He was dressed in a tuxedo, while Priya was wearing a white ballgown

"Mr. Kapoor, aap yeh sawaal 10 baar pooch chuke hain. Main theek hoon, aur jab tak aap mere saath rahenge, main theek hi rahungi."

"Theek hain. Lekin..."

"Jab bhi main uncomfortable feel karungi, main aapko bata dungi. Don't worry."

"Kaise? Priya, pehli baar tum mere saath award function attend kar rahi ho. Aur tumhe pehle se bheed-bhaad, flashy parties, yeh sab pasand nahi hain."

"Haan, lekin mere pati ko pasand hain na? Aur aapko itna bada award mil raha hain aaj, toh main apne comfort zone se bahaar nikal kar aapko support karna chahti hoon."

Ram took Priya's hands in his and gently kissed them.

"I'm so damn lucky ki tum meri patni ho."

"Aha! Abhi ke liye itna bas. Ghar jaake celebrate karna hain na?" Priya whispered mischievously in Ram's ear.

Before he could respond, they heard Tarun call out to them from the driver's seat.

"Sir, Bhabhi, hum pahunch gaye hain." 

Ram nervously turned to Priya, who squeezed his hand to assure him that she would be fine.

They got out of the car, and Ram wrapped his arm around Priya's waist. They began walking on the red carpet when a man suddenly rushed up to them.

"Sir! Sir! Picture ke liye pose kariye na!"

Ram nodded and turned to look at Priya, silently asking her how he looked. She fixed his hair slightly and wrapped her arm around him.

"Ma'am, aap side pe chale jaiye."

"Huh?" Ram asked, bewildered.

"Solo picture chahiye sir!"

Ram opened his mouth to respond but was interrupted by Priya's whispers.

"It's ok, Mr. Kapoor. Aap picture le lijiye, main side pe khadi hoon."

Even though Ram felt uncomfortable with the idea, he nodded and let Priya stand off to the side. He tried to put on his best picture face, despite feeling a pit in his stomach over the thought that, despite being a happily married man, the media would want to exclude his wife and portray him as a bachelor who came alone.

Once the pictures were taken, he curtly nodded at the photographer and took Priya's hand in his again.

"I must say, Mr. Kapoor, aapko aise dekh kar sab ladkiyaan pagal ho jayegi. Lekin afsos, unko nahi pata ki raat ko aap mere saath hi ghar jayenge."