Chapter 6. Intention

July 14, 1938

Thursday

Warm air whiffed through the open window. It was getting dark outside, though the wall opposite was still clearly visible with every gray brick. The evening rounds had just ended. The kerosene lamps were out. I was sitting on a chair, leaning on an old table, and looking at a white stone lying on the windowsill. Irene promised to bring chess, which she again quietly took out of the common room. She loved to play, and so did I. It became a kind of nocturnal ritual. During the day we could not really have any fun, because there were quite a lot of kids and it was not only us who had eyes on chess. When it came to us, we barely had time to arrange the pieces before play time was over and we were sent to dinner. It made absolutely no sense and stupid to make a fuss, so the other tactic, quietly and unnoticed, was received very positively by both of us.

It got dark. The air became uncomfortably prickly and chilly, which made me close the window. Now I paced my little room and waited impatiently. What was taking so long? It was long past lights out. Why didn't she ever show up? The desire to go up to the third floor was difficult to control, and the only incentive not to do it was my promise not to go out myself today, but to wait for her. The time dragged on endlessly. The clock hanging in the hallway struck my head, like an anvil, with every stroke of the second hand.

Finally, I got tired of pacing from corner to corner and, sighing disappointedly, stretched out on the bed. With a slight wave of my hand, a small light hung over the bed, and shadows danced on the ceiling. That's not something Irene knows how to do, or she wouldn't have asked me to teach her...

Sleep dragged me into its world with its clawed paws, giving me several nightmares that made me wake up and jump out of bed anxiously, but there was silence all around. Only the summer July rain pounded monotonously on the windows and roof of the orphanage.

It was morning. I peeked impatiently out of line, trying to see the table where Irene and I usually ate breakfast, but I couldn't because of the crowd of kids. I mechanically picked up the tray of food and finally made my way to the table. To my surprise, Irene wasn't there. "Something's wrong!" the thought flashed in my head, but I ignored it and decided to eat. The porridge was tasteless, the bread was like a paper. After finishing my barely sweet tea, I went straight to the study room.

"It was after lights out," the girls whispered. "They took her straight to Mrs. Cole's office..."

I experienced strange feelings. I didn't even have time to fully comprehend them, but my legs immediately carried me to the table. The girls, when they saw me, fell silent, fearfully looking down at their plates.

"Who are you talking about?"

They looked at each other cautiously, but they knew, as did everyone else, that it was better not to mess with me, or there would be consequences.

"Ah... About Irene," the redheaded girl with the big white ribbons in her plait answered quietly. Way to be a friend!

"What's the matter?"

I could feel with my whole being that the coldness with which I was asking questions made them even more afraid.

"Yesterday... Last night... She was caught after lights out on the stairs leading to the third floor... And... And she stole..."

These words made my insides surge, and I cast a hard glance at the redheaded Bella. From her reaction, I looked menacing and angry.

"I mean," she stammered, "chess. She took chess. And she got caught after lights out..."