Part 2. Inevitability. Chapter 1. Reversion

Studies at Hogwarts had been in full swing for two weeks, and students, some lazily, and some happily went to classes. The weather was surprisingly warm for the early fall of 1944, and even a series of rains had not yet fall on the magic castle.

There was a loud pop at the edge of the Forbidden Forest. A woman's body collapsed on the withered grass, and a strangled hoarse moan was heard. The young girl could not get up on her knees as quickly as she wanted. All her strength was thrown into trying to catch her breath. Only then she tried to stand up, fumbling for the cracked surface of the dead tree's stiff bark and pushing it off with both palms of her hands. Long-distance Apparition is characterized by splitting and pain, but the girl appeared to be fine except for her labored breathing. A cool wind hit her face and ruffled her long raven-colored hair. She immediately blew disgruntledly on a curl that fell unruly over her eyes, and then, with a heavy sigh, she finally straightened up, but then froze. Pale fingers clutched at her right side.

"Protective spells, damn you," she croaked in a muffled whisper, pushing a dry twig to the foot of the tree.

Studying the area with a penetrating gaze, she never blinked, then she deftly removed the ring from her pale hand and put it into her pocket.

Far away, in the melting sunlight, a huge castle towered. The stranger took a brave step toward the School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but stumbled as Apparition did its part, even if it was invisible at first glance. Another reason, apparently, was the lack of shoes. Her bare feet were definitely cold, and the ground was not covered with velvety grass, but with a stunted echo of greenery. Although September turned out to be warm, the weather was completely unsuitable for a long black dress.

She barely made it to the main entrance, and looked around warily: the nature around, as well as the castle itself, looked insanely beautiful and even majestic. A vague memory of a similar sensation arose inside, but it immediately vanished like a fog. The consciousness grasped desperately at the pathetic echo of the sudden reminiscence, which the girl, shaking her head grudgingly, drove away like an annoying fly.

The clanging and grinding of the front door were unpleasantly loud. A man of medium height appeared on the threshold. His blond hair was disheveled, and his thick mustache was covered with drops of sweat. He was out of breath, which indicated one thing: An enraged Apollyon Pringle, the Hogwarts caretaker, was running as fast as he could.

"Nasty girl!" he spat out a curse, catching his breath on the last syllable. He looked like a fish with bulging eyes that opened its mouth desperately, but only silence came out. Coughing loudly and disgustingly, he finally asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I'm a student," she answered and examined him from head to toe.

"Don't lie!" Pringle made a sweeping motion of the arm, but did not hit. The girl didn't react; she didn't twitch or blink. "I know all the students, and I've never seen you before! I saw you at the edge of the forest! You are not a student!"

"I'm a Hogwarts student," she retorted with an iron calmness that seemed to annoy the caretaker even more. "Just take me to Dippet."

Apollyon squinted in displeasure as he looked the intruder.

"Ha!" he snorted. As if some ragamuffin dares..."

His indignation was interrupted by a calm male voice.

"What's going on here?"

Behind the caretaker appeared the professor of Transfiguration, who was, in fact, in a hurry on his own business, but could not pass by, noticing the strange swarming at the main entrance.