I love you

"I'm not in love with you anymore" 

"Sorry what?" Nancy says confused.

The two were in one of hospitals empty corridors, the two went to get snacks and drinks for everyone whilst they wait for news on Max and Eddie. 

So here the two are in an empty hallway getting food from a vending machine because the food court is closed.

"I'm not in love with you anymore Nance"

"Steve I know-"

"But you don't because in all this mess i've never said it out loud" Steve sighs leaning against the wall. 

Steve closes his eyes, then after a moment opens them and looks straight at Nancy.

"I'm sorry, I was a shitty person and a shitty boyfriend. I'm not in love with you anymore and you might not know it Nancy but I'm really proud in myself for finally being able to say this out loud. I had planned the rest of my life with you but honestly that was stupid fantasy especially with the whole superkid and other world shit, not the point but you moved on and I really should've gotten over myself and done the same ages ago. And don't get me wrong I still care about you, even though you hurt me I would consider you a friend because we have figuratively and literally been to hell and back" 

"I love you Steve and I would consider you a great friend. I will admit you were and asshole back then but you've changed your so different, I can tell by how you care for those kids you love them and they love you too" Nancy smiles.

"Y'know I would've rather you as El says 'dump my ass'" Steve air quotes.

Nancy laughs.

"You're and idiot Steve Harrington" 

"You're a cool friend Nancy Wheeler"

Nancy hands Steve the snacks.

"This is a lot of food" 

"Yeah we need it and I was thinking we can sneak some food to Max and Eddie"

"Yeah hospital food sucks" Steve chuckles, "i'll take this first batch to everyone and then come back for the rest"

"You sure?"

"Yeah and whilst i'm at it ill try and get some more cash or maybe find those fudge cups the kids like"

"Steve y'know they're not kids anymore" Nancy rolls her eyes.

"I know but they are to me and as long as they're younger than me they are a kid, age is all I got on them Mike is tall as fuck now"

"I know right" Nancy laughs.

"I better go deliver these i'll be back" Steve gathers the snacks and drinks into the bag properly and starts walking back to the waiting room. 

"Thanks Steve"

Nancy turns back to the vending machine.

"Hey Wheeler!"

Nancy turns to look to see Steve across the hallway about to turn right to the waiting room.

"I love you too Nance" 

Nancy has never see him smile so bright. His cheeks so filled and teeth so wide, he really had changed he was so different from the king of Hawkins high school. 

Nancy smiles returns his smile and even after he's gone she turn back to the vending machine with a little grin.

"Yup he's definitely an idiot" she mutters to herself shaking her head a little.