The Fire

"Greetings gents, lost something have we?" The fox says slyly to the pack of wolves. I hated heights so being hidden up inside of a tall tree wasn't fun for me. I tried to hold my breath even scared they could hear my breathing. "Don't patronize me I know where your allegiance lies!" The alpha wolf says circling the fox. The fox nervously watches each wolf as he is being circled by the entire pack now. 

"We're looking for some humans" The wolf states and the fox puts a not so convinced laugh out. " Humans? here in Narnia, that's a valuable bit of information isn't it?" Susan quickly covers Lucy's mouth as the wolf digs his teeth into the foxes back and he gives out a loud and short squeal. "You're reward is your life" The wolf says and backs off a bit and laughs. 

"It's not much but still where are the fugitives." he says and the fox goes quiet. For a moment I think he's gonna snitch that we were high above them in a tree hearing every word of their conversation. 

Finally the fox says "North, they ran north" and I breath out a sign of relief. "Smell them out" the wolf says and the others drop the injured fox and begin to trace our scent. Bolting off into the night disappearing from sight. 

"They were helping Tumnus the witch got here before I could" I nurse the wound of the fox and he lets out a yelp. I knew how to help wounds after my father inflicted them on me and I had to take care of them myself. I knew how to stop the bleeding and help the swelling go down. 

"Are you alright?" Lucy says eating a bit of bread around the campfire we had all helped one another build. "Well I wish I could say their bark was worse then their bite" the fox says and I touch the bite mark again and he yelps once again. "I'm sorry" I quickly say and he looks up at me. "It's okay your helping me" and lays his head back down. 

"Thank you for your kindness but I'm afraid that's all I have time for." the fox says standing up stiffly. "You're leaving?" Lucy asks and then the fox begins to bow. "It has been a pleasure, my queen and an honor, but time is short and Aslan himself has asked me to gather more troops" The beavers perk up at the mention of Aslan's name. 

"You've seen him?" Mrs. Beaver asks and Mr. Beaver also jumps in "What's he like?" The fox pauses for a moment. "Like everything we've ever heard, you'll be glad to have him by your side in the battle against the witch." the fox says and Susan interjects. "We are not planning on fighting any witch"The fox then directs his attention towards Peter. "But surely king Peter, the prophecy!" Peter looks at me nervous and I give him a small smile in hopes it makes him feel better. 

"We can't go to war without" Mr. Beaver says and Peter looks at me again hoping to seek the same comfort. "We just want our brother back" he says and the conversation begins to dim as Mrs. Beaver yawns. Lucy yawns after her and they begin to lay their head down in the snow. 

The others do the same and I lay my head down and try to stay warm with my large coat and the fire next to me. I can't sleep though even though I'm completely exhausted from the strangest day of my life. I was completely sure that this was all a dream and I would wake up in my room on the bed I had made for myself on the floor where I slept and dreamed every night. 

I shift back and forth between sides. I then notice Peter was still up just staring at the fire. I sit up myself and look over at him. "Peter you should really try and sleep." I whisper nervous to wake up the others. "I can't" he saws playing with the hairs on his thick coat. I then stand up and walk over and sit by him. 

"It's been a really weird day" I say and laugh. "Yeah it has been pretty strange" he says and laughs along with me. He looks at me and then back towards the fire. There is a moment of silence and then Peter breaks it. "How did you know how to help the fox?" he asks and I go quiet for a moment thinking of how to answer the question. I didn't know if I wanted to be honest with him about my father or try and deflect the question like when we were up on the hill during that stormy night. 

"I injured myself a lot" I answer and Peter looks at me again and reaches his hand up to my face and cups my cheek where my bruise is. "You mean someone injures you" Peter says and I go quiet for a moment. I don't push his hand away. I look into his eyes and see that they have soften. There's care behind his blue eyes and I've never seen someone look at me like they care for me before. I never wanted to look away from him. If I could just stay in this moment forever I would die happy. 

I eventually realize I cant stay in the moment forever and that Peter was still waiting for an answer. "My father"  is all I say and walk back to my place around the campfire and lay down and shut my eyes thinking about Peter's eyes and what it meant to me the way I knew someone cared about my wellbeing. It was a strange feeling and I could feel myself beginning to feel almost a crush building on him. 

Hope you enjoyed lemme know what you thought of it! Have a good day or night or morning. Love u