Chapter 18: No More Games

"I know who you are." Ever since I came back from the party yesterday, I have only been able to think about one thing. My admirer, who I think is Matt. The Matt who is also Hailey's boyfriend.

After my fight with Jake in the morning, I decided I'll ask him what he knows about the admirer later. What I couldn't control though, was my need to confront the person I thought was Matt.

"Really? I thought you'd be more creative than empty threats Joanne."

"They're not empty. I freaking saw you. How could you."

"How could I..." I remained silent, squinting my eyes and breathing sharply through my nose. "what?"

"You have a girlfriend!"

"Oh, woah! Hold up honey pie, I haven't asked you out.. unless you want me to?"

"That's not—"

"Don't you think it's a little quick Joanne? I haven't even tried to woo you yet."

"I meant-"

"If you keep getting impressed this easily, the world will use you."

"Stop!" Silence. He finally shut up. "Matt, I know this is you. And this isn't funny."

The call went silent. Soon, the other end boomed with laughter. The admirer tried to breathe in an attempt to control his laugh, but failed. Utterly confused, I remained quiet. Was he not worried I'll tell Hailey?

"Joanne, I know you tried finding me at the party, but you couldn't be more wrong."

"So, you're not Matt?"

"I consider it an insult that you assumed I was him."

Althought I was still confused, relief washed over me. He wasn't Matt. But then, "How did you know I was there?"

He chuckled, "You wont let me sleep will you?"

"Sorry, were you asleep?" I asked, a little embarrassed considering it wasn't the ideal time to call an admirer who was still an imaginary figure to you.

'For you? No way" If his voice wasn't thickly laced with sleep I'd have believed him, but I didn't push it.

"Glad to know" I smiled lightly, rolling my finger around a thread coming out of my legging which I seemed to be concentrated on, sitting crossed legged and pushing myself into the plush comforter.

"To answer your question, you didn't do well hiding— if you tried," he chuckled as if enjoying an inside joke, "Infact, you passed right before me."

I closed my eyes, raising my head to rest it on the head of the bed, silently wondering why I hadn't been subtle enough. It was inevitable, him finding me."That cant be possible, I looked at everyone on call outside!"

"You were looking at the wrong people."

"I even checked the girls!"

"I was a bush."

My words got stuck and for one hilarious second i debated whether to believe that, before that though I knocked myself out of my idiocy, "You mean to say my dog used to actually poop on you?"

He snorted, "unlikely." his voice got thicker than before and I assumed he stretched.

My gaze fell on my nightstand where a picture frame of my dad and I, had a few letters before it, "How about a hint."

"Sure" he said, amused.

"Are you anonymous?"

"Do you have a nose?"

"That's a dumb question?"

"Exactly."

I groaned, "No, I mean--" I stopped when I realised he wouldn't know the name I used to refer to him at the airport. "You're the guy that came at the airport. Aren't you?"

"Depends, was he a drool worthy sight?" He spoke with a hint of cockiness in his voice.

"Not sure, my eyes repelled him." I said with a shrug.

His voice wasn't heard for a while, "I must be a blinding beauty." he finally spoke sounding awed and an unwanted laugh escaped me.

"You need to stop with these games, admirer."

"I'm not playing games anymore." That halted my breath.

"What do you mean?"

"There's more to me than you see, Joanne."

"That's the problem. I can't see you, at all."

He chuckled. "You want to?"

"You bet I do." He laughed at my eagerness. Getting used to his laugh could be the easiest task she'd ever done.

"That's more than enough."

She went to say how it isn't when she heard a beep. The call ended.

He sent a last goodnight message.

Taken aback by the conversation, I lied down. I'm not playing games anymore. Am I close to finding out?

__________________

Hint: she's very close to finding out. 10 years too late tho