Chapter 17: Does Jake Know?

"Jake, get up."

He protested.

"Come on, it's not that bad."

He protested again.

"Jake, okay. Seriously?" Done with his childishness I decided to push him out of his bed. It was clear whatever happened at the party yesterday had him pretty upset.

He groaned yet again, getting louder as he saw his awaiting doom when I climbed the bed ready to push him off. And I pushed him, until he was barely an inch away from the edge and his groan turned into a high pitched scream. "Heaven's sake! Okay fine, Joanne I'm up!"

I sat back, grinning. He eyed me angrily. He slowly got up, covering the 'tattoos' he got yesterday. "How do you feel?"

"I hate that guy." Jake snarled. Realising he must be talking about Trevor, I nodded.

"Yeah, he sucks" I'd know, I've been a subject of his torture.

Jake looked at me angrily yet again, "Oh, you think so?"

Confused as to why he was so bitter towards me, I asked him what he meant.

"Oh for God's sake, Joanne. How dense do you have to be?"

"What did I do now!" I felt attacked, I saved his ass yesterday and this is how he behaves.

He shook his head, "forget it." He finally decided to get out of bed, not caring about the tattoos anymore. Putting on a shirt he went into the bathroom.

The door was ajar so I decided to talk to him, "Did you not shower coming home yesterday?" When he came out of the bathroom, brushing his teeth and giving me a dry look I realised it's not the best question. Ofcourse, it was permanent marker. "I guess more baths will help.." I remarked awkwardly.

He rolled his eyes and when back in. "I don't understand you, Joanne." He said after he cleaned up.

"What do you mean?"

He came out, looking at me like I was stupid, "You.. I just don't."

"Can you be any precise?" I stood up, now agitated.

He crossed his arms, looking up and clenching his jaw. "Jake-"

"Did you talk to him yesterday? The idiot?"

I paused, baffled by the sudden question, "Yeah, why?"

He looked at me, incredulously, "at the party?"

"Actually I have something to tell you." I recalled.

Jake looked hesitant, but still annoyed. So he walked over to me slowly, and sat at the edge of the bed. Taking that as my cue, I spoke, "Matt is the admirer."

Seconds passed as I waited for the reaction that never came. Instead after receiving an incredulous look that, not said, but screamed that I was stupid, Jake dropped back on his bed, covering his face.

"Oh my God. You've got to be kidding me Joe. Oh my God." He kept chanting, rubbing his face.

"If you're going to continue this I'm leaving." I stood up, Jake sat up quickly. "I did not come to see if you're okay to be bashed like this, Jake." Jake was taken aback by my sudden change in behavior.

"No. Stop, alright. How - How do you know it's Matt?"

"I was on call with him, I saw him speak." I huffed, still bothered that he could do this to Hailey.

"Joey, do you not have Matt's number saved?" I paused. I hadn't thought of that.

I slowly nodded my head, "But I was talking to him on Jason's phone."

"Joey, you should go home." Jake's behavior was incredulous. I couldn't understand what had him so annoyed.

"I guess I will, Jake. I can't stand you right now." I spat at him befote quickly getting up to leave. Slamming his door on my way out helped alleviate some anger, I'm glad his parents aren't home.

Still fuming with anger, I started walking back home. I know Jake's been having a rough time. But I cannot keep dealing with his changing moods. They give me a whiplash. While I was drowning in my thoughts and my anger towards Matt, for cheating on Hailey, and towards Jake, for his unacceptable behaviour, I reached home.

As I sat on my bed, a realisation hit me.

Why wasn't Jake shocked at the identity of the admirer?