Chapter 10: Home of Letters

I stood at the far end of the school in front of the very place that might answer the questions floating around in my mind. Locker 261. Was I really about to find out who the admirer was?

My heart was threatening to leap out of my ribcage, sending jolts of excitement up and down my spine. The thrill stuck in my throat threatening to burst out with a scream.

As excited as I sounded, my feet felt heavy with every step I took towards the locker. I was also dreading this place. What if the admirer thought I was too eager? Well, I was being too eager, but no need for the admirer to think that. Stalker, I meant stalker.

Shouldn't I have told Hailey or Anne? Maybe not. They will want to bust him. But didn't I want to do the same just a few days ago?

If I had gone on trying to answer all those questions I might not have checked the locker and ran away. I tried paying no heeds to them anymore and walked futher. Now or never, Joanne.

The locker was left a little open. I guess in an addition to his dumbness, he wasn't too keen on protecting his stuff either. I looked around, the hallway was empty with just the last two students on their way towards the exit. I opened the locker.

It turned out to be empty. It had nothing belonging to anyone. No books. No nothing. All it had was a layer of dust covering its floor and a letter lying on top of it. The same paper chit I had found in my locker a few minutes ago.

Maybe the admirer wasn't as dumb as I thought. This locker didn't belong to anyone.

I took the letter and opened it;

"This shall now be the home of our letters, honey. Do you like it? :') I mean, I know you're dying to confess your undying love for me. Well Joey, I'm giving the both of us the chance to do just that.

P.s. No this locker is not mine, though I bet you thought it was. And I bet you were excited, too. ;) "

I closed the locker with a light slam when I heard footsteps. I walked ahead, faking nonchalance, towards the exit. "Joey! Where have you been?" It was Jason. I exhaled a little in relief.

"As you can see, right here. Making my way towards the door." My smile was sickeningly sweet while I motioned towards the door with my hands.

He rolled his eyes, "You weren't there before, okay? Lets race to the exit and go home." His eyes shone with excitement. I let out the rest of the air when I realised he didn't see me gawking at a locker a while ago.

"Only if you take steps as long as mine." He walked to where I was and without a warning I ran with him running right next to me.

Nearing the exit he was running ahead of me. So I tried cheating. I screamed in an attempt to scare him but he only laughed and opened the exit door through which I ran out a second after him. He was slowly decelerating his pace. "You cheater!" He said, pointing at me and still laughing throatily.

I was panting, realising how out of shape I was. "You cheater! You had longer legs and your steps were longer!"

He was still laughing when he asked me to sit in the car, walking towards a group of his friends.

I turned and strolled towards my car thinking back to the letter. A smile etched across my face, did that mean he wanted to communicate with me?

That shouldn't make me happy, that's trouble. Stupid, stupid Joanne. But for some reason, I could not help feel happy, excited for a fact that I could finally answer him. Ofcourse, my letters should be as mocking as his usually are. Most of the letters might be baked in mockery. Oh great, I'm already imagining how my letters would be.