CHAPTER 9

Maxine I Ambition

15:20 Hours

Haley's Woods

"Hey, Maxie."

She was caught off guard by his voice. The handsome and athletic Jeremy Hwang, an academy classmate, walked over and waved. He smiled as he pulled up his duty belt and tucked in his shirt.

"This is a hell of a way to start our careers," he said. At first, Maxine couldn't break her stare on the body. All she could see was the sole of the female's foot. It was black but not from the filth that surrounded it. Instead, it was the color of death and decay like she'd never thought possible.

Returning Jeremy's smile, she was too consumed by the image to respond.

Her stomach lurched, and she gagged. She looked away, trying not to draw attention. But, as hard as she fought to hold it back, she failed.

She found a small spot in the tall grass and squatted. She stared at the matted turf as wave after wave of nausea caused her to retch. However, it was the quietest sickness she'd ever had.

"I can't believe this," she said.

"It's okay," said Jeremy. He shushed her and reached for her head. His touch was gentle and caring, bringing Maxine comfort. But it also brought her confusion.

"I've got you, Maxie," he said. "You're good. Nobody saw." She looked up at him and smiled. Even in the aftermath of heaving, she couldn't get enough of his dark hair and brown eyes. His soothing voice and concern urged her to hold his hand. However, she refused the prompting, not wanting to show any signs of affection around the body of the murdered woman.

It would be difficult to hide their relationship in the following days, at least for Maxine. Although they concealed it from their academy peers, she hoped things would change. Being in the open and removed from the four walls of the training center, they'd have the freedom to express themselves. But, unfortunately, Jeremy Hwang wasn't as willing or optimistic. Two nights ago, he expressed his need to keep their relationship a secret.

"We need to wait until we know we're safe," he said. And for the first time in their four months together, she sensed his ambition and doubted his intentions toward her.

Maxine stood and straightened her ponytail between her fingers. As she pulled it tight, Jeremy moved closer. He stood sideways and put his chest against her arm. He let his hand fall below her lower back and felt the curve of her ass.

"I just threw up," she said. However, Max didn't move. Instead, she welcomed and returned his touch with a quick finger brush of his thigh.

"I'd kiss you anyway," he said and grinned.

Now that she was finished being sick, she tried to settle two questions at the forefront of her thoughts. First, Jeremy's affections contradicted his desire to hide their relationship. Second, for the first time in her life, she wanted to quit something.

The dead woman, the smell of decay and creek rot, the detectives' ogling, and the Homicide Lieutenant's hostility toward her father overwhelmed her with loathing.

"I think I made a mistake with—"

"Is everything okay here?" Yet another voice surprised her. This one, however, was from a recent unwelcome introduction. Detective Sal Bongiovanni stared at Jeremy and scowled. Sal pursed his lips, then circled his mouth with his tongue.

"Is this guy bothering you, Officer McMenamin?"

The detective moved closer to Jeremy Hwang, who backed away and dropped his head.