CHAPTER 41

Dr. Betty Morton

Watch Command May 3, 2016

1530 Hours

1

The faint aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafted through the air, mingling with cigarette smoke and air fresheners.

"This can't be happening," said Maxine.

She continued to read and scan the first letter, front and back. She tugged at her tight tie and constricting collar, the fabric scratching against her skin. Gasping for air, she felt a weight pressing down on her chest as if the very atmosphere had grown into blackness.

As her anxiety spiked, her face drained of color, and her lips turned a pale shade.

She continued to read to herself.

Forgive me for the informality of a letter instead of speaking in person. I believe the more you read, the more you'll understand that I cannot talk visage to visage.

I have recently been born again into a realm of the supernatural. Some would say that it has resurrected me in the spirit of loup-garou.

Maxine turned the letter over, then moved to the next and the last. She scanned the text, her eyes darting across the page, searching for key phrases and words to serve as some sort of lifeline.

What she found horrified her.

Why am I involved in this? Is this punishment for loving Kelly? It can't be. I need to stop.

"There's three," she said. "The author outlines three different kills and refers to them as his 'young one,' his 'prissy one,' and his 'lanky one.'"

She pulled on her collar again, feeling that it had taken the stead of X-4's hand in strangling her.

The letters quivered in her fingers, their delicate paper whispering in her mind. Shallow breaths escaped her lips, carrying the scent of anxiety.

Kelly was quick to act. He took hold of her hands and placed them on the desk. Since he wasn't wearing gloves, he couldn't touch the letters.

When she put them down in front of Chaney, she grabbed her tie with both hands and tugged.

"Okay, first of all," said Kelly. "You're getting out of the long sleeve and dropping the tie. Do you have your summer's yet?"

Maxine gave a small nod, but the letters consumed her attention, and she couldn't tear herself away.

"Go put on your short sleeves. You've graduated," he said.

Only an FTO could say when a boot could wear the uniform of the day and stop the tie and long-sleeve look.

"Agreed," said Chaney. "Go change, McMenamin."

Maxine's heart fluttered with hesitation as she approached the door, her gaze lingering on the desk. Her eyes fixated on the cluttered surface, each letter holding a secret.

As she stood frozen, Kelly stepped into her line of sight, his warm touch grounding Maxine as she grasped her trembling shoulders.

"Go get changed, boot," he said. "They'll be here when you get back."

After Maxine disappeared from view, Kelly circled around Chaney's desk, who remained engaged in a phone conversation with Major Case.

Chaney pulled open the drawer, knowing Kelly was coming for the latex gloves. As he handed him the box, they exchanged a quick glance. Chaney's eyes widened, his brows furrowed, and he held a broad frown.