CHAPTER 23

Old Man McMenamin

1

21:46 Hours

"All units secure on Tac-Two for broadcast," said Central Dispatch.

"What does that mean?" asked Max as Kelly opened the driver's side of the RMP.

They had just been relieved, their minds exhausted, but felt relief and anticipation for their new assignment. Kelly ignored her as he dropped into the driver's seat. But not because he wanted to be impolite. More than anything, he wanted to get to know her better, forging a deep bond with her. It was his shadow sense that had him on edge. There was an unsettling sensation about these killings.

It was deeper than a monster roving our sand pit.

He knew the truth would inch closer to unveiling itself with each passing day. It always does, for the most part. What frightened him the most was the unsettling uncertainty of the in-between. When he looked at Max, a sudden wave of fright transformed into pure terror, sending shivers down his spine.

She's not safe. I know it. I have to protect her at all costs.

As Max climbed into the vehicle, she could feel the weight of her kevlar vest on her shoulders. She lowered her portable, buckled her seatbelt, and waited.

Kelly leaned over and took the handset from the cradle. He held it against his right leg as his left elbow leaned against the window. His breath formed a mist on the cold glass as he stared into the darkness.

"Do you want me to do it?" she asked.

"I got it," he said. He put the handset to his mouth and depressed the PTT.

"Six-three David, Tac-two and secure." They sat in an uncomfortable silence, broken only by the sound of Kelly lowering his window. He reached into his utility pocket and retrieved his tobacco pouch, preparing to complete the ritual of a fresh wad.

"This is unbelievable," said Max. The silence was killing her, so she hoped Kelly would engage her.

"Sorry, Max. What?" Kelly's gaze left the window as he shifted in his seat. He hadn't yet turned on the car, assuming that's what she had meant. Maxine sighed as he put the keys in and turned over the engine.

"They're like little girls," she snapped. "The both of them."

As she scrolled through her phone, it flooded her screen with twenty-three missed text messages and three missed calls. She had forgotten that she had put her phone on silent mode while CSI processed the scene.

As she looked out the window, she saw Jeremy's intense gaze fixed upon her. Despite being unable to see his expression, his constant text messages conveyed his anger towards her.

"Oh shit," she said. Kelly looked over at her and smiled.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I missed a call from my father." She nervously bit her lower lip, feeling a surge of anxiety. Her relationship with him became strained because of her career choice and the precinct house she chose. And although he said nothing about what company to keep, she could feel him watching her every move. His spies were everywhere, mostly Bongiovanni, but God knows who else.

"Kelly, do you mind if I call my dad?" she asked. "I missed him earlier."

Kelly smiled at her and tapped her on the shoulder. "Absolutely," he said. "Best if you stay close to the RMP, though. We might have to fly out of here most ricky-tick pending the broadcast."

She opened the door and threw Kelly a smile just because. As she stood, Jeremy looked over at her and stepped toward her. She shook her head and held up her finger to stop him from where he was.