CHAPTER 26

Standoff

17:55 Hours

17:55 Hours

Maxine watched on as each division did their thing. CSI roped off the scene, and homicide and gang detectives compared notes and identified the shooters.

Captain Kelly had been on the scene for almost ten minutes, never wavering from his nephew's side. They stationed Maxine east of the preschool where Homicide had set up a command center, and parents were being funneled to get their children.

The relentless noise of screaming and crying toddlers, the alarming gunshots, and the bustling activity of investigations left her drained.

"Six-three Charlie to all units. Be advised that a group of LREC foot mobiles is heading your way. Requesting a unit to back. Call us out at Central and First."

At that moment, a surge of emotions overwhelmed Max so powerful that her instinctual response was to fight. If given the chance, she'd hop into one of the RMPs prepared for the confrontation with LREC. She had to resist the impulse because she Knew Kelly was watching her. And as much as she appreciated his protection, she felt the need to hurt someone. Just punch someone or make them pay for the chaos that was going on.

"Hey, Max," said a voice from behind. Jeremy Hwang was the last person she wanted to deal with. In fact, maybe it would be him who she'd punch. He was the reason Maxine was upset before the watch.

She could tolerate many things. But cheating deserved a harsh recompense.

"Hey, Max," he continued. He tried to look her in the face, but she kept turning away. "You're not answering my texts or calls."

"You dug your own grave, asshole. Now lie in it," she snapped.

He took her by the arm, which caused her to turn and take her arm back. Hwang sighed, and she heard the tension in his voice.

"Max, you could hardly blame me. You changed when you climbed into the car with your FTO, the great Corporal Kelly. You're combative, angry, and seem to have withdrawn from me. I said I wanted to keep us a secret for fear it could cost us our reputations—"

"And how'd that work out for you?" she said. Max raised her hand, clenched it into a fist, and then opened it, palm facing upwards.

"Jeremy, I'm not doing this right now," she snapped. Her tone carried annoyance and impatience. "I have a job to do," she said dismissively, "and you're not worth my time."

Maxine turned away and stared at Kelly, hoping she could get his attention. However, someone jerked her towards the yellow tape and off balance.

She recoiled, mistaking it for Jeremy, but it turned out to be a frantic mom. The woman waved her I.D. at Max and shouted for her daughter.

"Ma'am," said Max. She took the woman's hand and shushed her. "Who are you looking for?" Maxine's voice was calm and gentle.

"Michelle," she cried. "Michelle Black."

Max reached for her collar mic and announced the child, and within seconds, one of the school aides brought her over to them.

The mother dropped to her knees, her handbag spilling all over the street, and hugged Michelle Black tight. The asphalt scratched the mom's suede leather jacket, and her pantyhose ran and tore. One of her heels fell from her foot as she kicked it to the side. But she kept hugging and kissing and loving on that child.

Max kneeled and replaced all the bag's contents. As she stood, she tapped the mom on the shoulder and smiled.

"She's all good," she said. Michelle, two years old, sobbed in her mother's arms. "Oh, you're okay, sweetie. The bad men are all gone, and you have your mommy now."