CHAPTER 1

Dramatic Narrated Video - 4:39

***A note to the reader. I have far overshot my deadline, much to the anger of my editor. This a work in progress that needs ALpha Readers!!!! I will do read for reading or help with whatever project you need.***

1

May 3, 2016

1455 Hours

Dressing like some prostitute or freaking porn star. Going undercover to catch a serial killer. I regret saying I'd get involved. I should have listened to Kelly. What the hell made me think I was ready?

Despite Maxine McMenamin's efforts to ignore the reminders, the scar remained a permanent fixture in her mind. Even the slightest movements reminded her of what had happened just short of one week earlier. Shooting pains in her right elbow and hand accompanied the soreness in her back and shoulders.

This was her first day back to full duty, having turned down a lesser assignment while she healed. She stood motionless, the marks of bruises on her neck and chin still evident.

She tucked in her uniform shirt and adjusted her duty belt on her hips.

That afternoon, May 3, the ladies' assigned common area in the Six-three Precinct had little traffic. Ten metal lockers were in the center of the room, arranged back-to-back in a row of five. To the right, three toilet stalls lined the wall. To the left is a long gray countertop with three sinks and soap dispensers.

Maxine leaned against the countertop, waiting to be alone, as two secretaries had not finished their break. While watching them in the mirror, she noticed one turn her back and whisper to another, who shied away from Max's eyes.

"Do you have a problem?" she snapped. "If you're going to be that rude, make sure I can't see you."

They said nothing before an abrupt exit.

She again stared into the long mirror, remembering the last time she did.

With a sigh, she ran her thumbs and forefingers back from her forehead, grasping a fistful of hair with one hand and tightening it with the other. After a few passes between her fingers, she drew it into a pony and secured it with a black elastic hair band.

Despite wanting to scream, Max opted for silence. Her throat still hurt when she spoke, and she didn't desire the attention or the drama it would cause.

Before heading to her locker, she stretched and leaned left and right, inspecting her neck.

At least you're barely visible. And if it's not seen, it's not remembered.

"Officer McMenamin and Corporal Kelly to Watch Commander's office." The loudspeaker resonated through the common area.

Great.

Max rushed to her locker, loaded her Smith and Wesson .9mm, and secured it in her triple retention holster. As she slammed the locker shut, she heard Lieutenant James 'Jamie' Chaney repeat his command.

Oh shit. Did we get caught? Or is Kelly in trouble for shoving Lieutenant Bellagamba? Something's wrong, and this isn't paranoia. I need to find Kelly before we go into that office.

Several uniforms passed her by. Some smiled, some stared, but nobody talked to her. She had never felt so insecure and alone.

That's when she realized the depth of her naivety about the job's true nature.

2

"Kelly, where the hell were you?" snapped Max. "I've been waiting."

William Kelly was a bit disheveled. He was on the job long enough to know he didn't want to be rushed, and nothing but an officer needs help call was that pressing.