CHAPTER 29

Melee

1

It caught everyone off guard. Bongiovanni threw a punch over Max's shoulder but missed. Sergeant Guldbrandsen rushed from the corner of the room where he stood with Chaney.

Kelly was ready to hit back when Guldbrandsen grabbed him from behind, pinning Kelly's right arm. Kelly grabbed Bongiovanni's silk shirt and tie, yanking them by the collar. With his handful of cloth and his knuckles against Bongiovanni's throat, he jerked and pulled, getting him off balance.

"Maxine, watch out!" yelled Kelly. Guldbrandsen dragged him toward the doorway as Bongiovanni threw another punch, striking Kelly on the forehead. The asshole detectives, one and two, grabbed hold of Kelly and tried to break his release.

"Don't even think about it," shouted Guldbrandsen at the two of them, getting Kelly through the doorway and into the hall.

The rapid pace of events left Maxine uncertain of what she should do. She wanted to punch Sal and grab asshole detectives one and two by the face, but they had pushed her against the desk, and she couldn't get her footing.

The yelling and commotion alerted the uniforms that still hadn't gone on the street, including Keegan and Marcello.

Guldbrandsen's grip on Kelly's torso tightened, his fingers digging into Kelly's vest. But seeing Maxine in a vulnerable position, Kelly lashed out at asshole detective number one, but his blow failed to connect. Off balance from his attempt, Guldbrandsen shoved Kelly out of the room and into the bustling main hallway.

As they cleared the doorway, asshole detective number one grabbed Kelly's arm, put his hand under his jaw, and shoved his head back.

"Son of a bitch," said Keegs. He broke into a full sprint, followed by Marcello. Guldbrandsen attempted to pry detective number one's palm away from under Kelly's chin when Keegan blindsided the detective.

Their bodies colliding echoed as Keegs drove him to the ground. And when asshole detective number two went after Keegan, Marcello grabbed hold of him around the head and pushed him against the wall.

Martinez ran from the women's locker room and grabbed hold of Keegan. She kneeled on asshole detective number one's face and pushed Keegan off, and got him under control.

Screaming and yelling continued as uniforms flooded the hallway, restoring order, so to speak.

And when a loud tearing noise cut through the craziness, Kelly's grip separated from Bongiovanni with a few buttons from his torn silk shirt.

With everyone separated, Guldbrandsen let Kelly go.

"Take your boot and get out of this building," he said. He turned to Maxine, short of breath. "You need to help him get his shit wired tight before he comes back inside."

"Belay that, Kelly," yelled Chaney. He poked his head from the office as if nothing had happened. Maxine looked through the Watch Commander's office window to see Bellagamba sitting behind the desk, glaring at her.

"You're riding with Keegan," said Chaney. "McMenamin, back inside. We're not finished."

Maxine took hold of Kelly's shoulders as he returned the gesture. He nodded and took a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. She met his apology with a smile and brushed his sweater and badge. As she straightened his bunched sleeves and helped him sort himself out, she placed her palm against his chest.

"You don't need to apologize to me," she said. "He had it coming."

"Marine," said Keegs. "Let's go. These idiots are proof that evolution can go in reverse." Martinez patted Keegan's back before walking in front of him, screaming for Hwang.

Maxine turned and saw Jeremy standing near the locker room. He looked at her, his lips tight and his face flat. His eyebrows pinched when he nodded and curled his lips.

Keegan caught his angry look of disgust and stopped in front of him. Martinez rushed to Hwang as Kelly grabbed Keegs by the arm, struggling to pull him away.

"You know what Hwang?" Keegs' finger pointed at Jeremy's face. "I'm going to crap in a box and send it to your momma for sending us her piece of shit."

Martinez hurried toward Keegs, bypassing Hwang altogether.

"Just get out," she snapped. "Kelly, control your muppet."

Kelly finally won the tug of war with Keegan as he dragged him toward the sallyport's metal door.

Jeremy looked back at Maxine, a mix of fear and rage on his face. He wouldn't stop staring at her. Even when Martinez told him to settle down and he opened the locker room door, fury overtook his countenance. His eyes squinted, and a snarl took his lips. The creases on his cheeks and under each eye frightened Maxine. Before disappearing into the locker room, he stopped and stood silent.

"You're a whore," he mouthed and vanished behind the closing door.