Winner of Ghost Writers The Contest

Props go out to @americanbruja for her amazing comments on Letters To Maxine. And as promised, a character of hers will appear in the latter. She will also get a shout-out in the published version! Congratulations!!!!

And now, Dr. Betty Morgan

Dr. Betty Morton

Backstory and History:

Dr. Betty Morton had a long and illustrious career as a licensed psychologist, specializing in supernatural experiences and the trauma they cause. She spent most of her career at a psychiatric intake facility and hospital in Los Angeles, where she helped those struggling with unexplained phenomena, occultic behavior, and paranormal trauma. However, her personal life suffered a heavy blow when her beloved partner passed away, leaving her devastated and searching for a fresh start. Betty leaves Los Angeles behind and travels to the East Coast to visit her family and start her consulting firm.

Personality Traits:

Dr. Betty Morton is a strong-willed and determined woman. Her years of experience dealing with the supernatural have granted her a sense of fearlessness in the face of the unknown. She possesses great intellectual curiosity and is always hungry for knowledge, especially regarding criminal behavior and profiling. Despite her age, she radiates elegance and sophistication and a sharp wit that she deploys when necessary.

Physical Characteristics:

Dr. Betty Morton is an elegant and statuesque woman, standing tall at 5' 10. She maintains a slim figure, weighing approximately 135 pounds. Her most striking features are her silvery blonde hair, always impeccably styled in an updo, and her mesmerizing hazel eyes. Even at sixty-eight, she possesses an air of grace and confidence that demands attention.

Goals and Aspirations:

Dr. Betty Morton's ultimate goal is to establish a successful consulting firm. She aims to utilize her expertise in the paranormal, criminal behavior, and profiling to assist law enforcement agencies in solving complex cases involving supernatural elements. She also hopes to find closure and healing after the loss of her partner, using her work as a means to stay focused and channel her grief constructively.

Relationships:

Throughout her journey to the East Coast, Dr. Betty Morton's nephew, who happens to be the new Mayor of the Heights, plays a significant role in her life. They share a close bond, and because of this connection, she was offered the opportunity to become a consultant for Major Case Detectives. Betty's family remains an important support system as she navigates the challenges of starting a new chapter in her life.

Flaws and Weaknesses:

Despite her immense knowledge and expertise, Dr. Betty Morton sometimes struggles to balance her logical approach with the unpredictability of the supernatural. She can slightly become obsessed with seeking rational explanations for paranormal phenomena, which may blind her to certain truths.

Additionally, her recent loss has left her emotionally vulnerable, occasionally clouding her judgment and causing her to act impulsively.

Beliefs and Values:

Dr. Betty Morton firmly believes in the mind's power and how it can affect the physical world. She has seen firsthand the impact of trauma on individuals and, therefore, values empathy and understanding in her work. Betty is also a staunch advocate for justice and the truth, driven to shed light on the unexplained and protect those affected by supernatural forces.

Challenges and Obstacles:

One of the major challenges Dr. Betty Morton faces is adapting to a new environment and establishing her consulting firm from scratch. As she immerses herself in the community, she may encounter resistance, skepticism, or outright hostility from those skeptical of the paranormal or unwilling to accept their encounters as real.

Moreover, she must grapple with her grief and find a way to heal while dedicating herself to her work.

Voice and Perspective:

Dr. Betty Morton's voice is measured, intelligent, and authoritative. She speaks with the confidence and knowledge that comes from years of experience. Her perspective is highly analytical, always seeking rational explanations for the seemingly unexplainable. However, as the story progresses, her voice adapts to reflect her evolving understanding and acceptance of the supernatural, becoming more open-minded and empathetic.