chapter 6: flash from the past pt. 2

FLASHBACK

Me and Rafe were hanging out on the Druthers, going out for a boat ride. We were smoking some weed and chatting about our plans to go to the Country Club that day.

"Before we head back to Tannyhill, I gotta go see someone first." I stated.

"Seriously Cass?" He responds, somewhat angry.

"I know, I know okay? I just gotta go pick the shit up and we can go."

"Yeah? Whatever."

Rafe never liked the idea of me doing drugs, other than weed. I knew well that it was dangerous, but for obvious reasons , it was hard to quit. He always looked out for me. He was my best friend.

We approached Barry's trailer.

"Yo Cassandra, I see you brought Mr. Country Club wit' you today huh?" Barry says as he chuckles lightly.

"Yeah yeah, just get me my shit B."

"Aight aight chill, someone's in a hurry."

In my hand, the money and in his a bag of white powder. We exchange items. Soon after, Rafe and I make our way back to Tannyhill in his Range Rover.

"I'm gonna go shower alright? You can uh- you can just chill here before we go." Rafe insisted, as he walked into his bathroom.

I took out the bag of white powder, bringing my buttoned nose closer to the lined up substance on his side table. I rolled up a dollar bill and started inhaling the substance. Line after line, slightly getting carried away.

Soon enough, my vision began to get blurry. My nose burned like hell. I began to get really hot. Heavily breathing with droplets dripping down my face. I fell off his bed, with a big thud coming soon after the movement.

A few minutes later, Rafe exits his bathroom, attached to his room. With wet middle parted hair.

"Alright, Cass you ready to go?"

No response.

"Cass?"

He looked over towards my unconscious body.

"CASSANDRA." He shouts, with a tide of fear brushing through his thoughts.

"N- no, no no no. Cass you can't do this to me alright? Wa- Wake up Cassie. Please"

His voice was trembling. He didn't move. He didn't know what to do.

I still feel guilty for putting him through that, to this day.

He picks me up and rushes me to his car.

I guess we weren't going to the Country Club afterall.

"Stay with me Cass please."

He speeds to the hospital, with watering eyes.

A few hours later, I'm in a hospital bed. Resting, eyes closed, in better condition, but not quite conscious yet. Rafe didn't leave me, not once. He held my hand tight.

"You're gonna get through this. I-"

"I think I love you Cass." Right then and there, he drops the three most beautiful yet terrifying words.