Chapter 23 - Set Up

This body of work is available exclusively on Wattpad. If you're viewing it on a different website or under a different username, it has been illegally stolen, and you may be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing a book takes long hours of hard work and effort. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author, know if you encounter this situation by finding me @greenwitchwrites.

Niklaus

"So, that bad, hey?" Sian asks, his eyes briefly drifting over to me before they go back to the road, the darkness of the road ahead not allowing for anything longer.

The flight from my office back to Rosi Island had been one of the longest of my life, the need to get back to Allegra and my anger towards Kraven forcing me into this agitated state. The air hostess had already been on the receiving end of it, feeling my wrath when she asked me one too many times with a flirtatious undertone if I was sure there wasn't anything she could help me with. Were women truly that desperate when it came to a man with money?

I had had my fair share of gold diggers over the years, their intentions eventually becoming clear when the masks covering who they really are fell, revealing women only after the Rosi name and fortune.

My mind goes back to what Allegra had said to me on the balcony that day four years ago at the masquerade ball when I first met her.

"If only the masks we wear daily could be removed as easily as these. At least that way, we might know who we are dealing with, don't you think?"

It was those words that had sparked an interest in me, the fact that someone else seemed to be cognizant of the façade that I had first-hand experience with. Someone with eyes that lacked the mask so many others wore, allowing a glimpse into her soul. One that seemed that day to be yearning for so much more than the lot she was given. The details of which are still a mystery to me.

"Niklaus?" Sian's voice pulls me back to the present, the concern in his eyes evident as he glimpses at me once more.

"Why was Kraven allowed on the island?" I ask Sian, my mind once again going to the cause of my current state.

"Eve and Kraven came as guests of Gustevo. We weren't aware until it was too late." The famous DJ I had hired for tonight's event. I guess this would be his last gig here, I think bitterly.

I wonder if this was coincidental or contrived. Especially after today's events and Kraven purchasing that land out from under my nose. This seemed all a little too much. And why the fuck was Eve even with Kraven. She knew how fucked up the guy was and the animosity between us. The whole world did. Which also made me wonder why Allegra was entertaining his company. Surely after coming here with me and what had happened in Aashiv and Ade's kitchen, she wouldn't do me over like that? I thought we had a connection, or was this also just one-sided? The thought has me cursing out loud.

"I've never seen you like this. Even when Eve cheated on you with that asshole Trent. You've been fighting Kraven for years, so it can't be that. The only other reason must be five foot five, brown hair, and wearing a bright yellow bikini," Sian says, his words causing a sudden headache as I kneed my eyes with my forefinger and thumb.

Closing my eyes do nothing to shut out the images of Allegra's creamy smooth skin, the feel of which has been seared into my fingertips when I explored her body the other night. A body that revealed Allegra's inner state more than she normally allowed as she tightened up like a coil and released like a runner, finally hearing the starting gun go off. In that state, she allowed passion to drive her. I saw it on her face. Something other than sadness. I have to admit. My ego was pretty big after that, knowing I had pulled an emotion from the depths of her. Feelings she tried so hard to force down.