Chapter 46 - Antecedent

This body of work is available exclusively on Wattpad. If you're viewing it on a different website or under a different username, it has been illegally stolen, and you may be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing a book takes long hours of hard work and effort. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author, know if you encounter this situation by finding me @greenwitchwrites.

Allegra

"Wow, you look amazing. For someone who has recently had a baby, you look exactly the same as you did before. How is that possible?" Aashiv whines as she fixes the last curl in place on the top of my head.

While she thought my body had remained the same, I could tell otherwise. My ass was definitely rounder, which wasn't too bad, but I also had a little excess belly fat that I was trying to work off.

"There, all done," Aashiv exclaims, her face alight as she spins me around so I can see my reflection in the mirror.

"Geezus. You are a miracle worker," I laugh, turning my head from side to side as I look at myself in the reflection.

Aashiv knows I don't wear a lot of makeup, so she has gone for a natural look but with smoky eyes and red lips. Perfect with the floor-length black evening dress I am wearing. I smooth my hand over my stomach self-consciously, turning to the side to see how lumpy it looks.

"Don't even. I can see what you are thinking, and believe me when I say it's only you who sees any imperfections." Aashiv squeezes my shoulders reassuringly, and I drop my hands, pulling my shoulders back and raising my head.

So what if I didn't look like I did a few months ago? I had a beautiful daughter to show for it.

A knock on my door has butterflies forming in my stomach. A constant occurrence since seeing Niklaus again. With our interaction limited to discussions about Julia, tension had been building. I wanted him to forgive me, but I didn't know how to broach the subject. Being around him was difficult as my feelings for him had not changed. I love him.

And seeing him with our daughter just made those feelings grow. The look he gave her was one I used to see on his face when he looked at me. Love, devotion. Like he would give his world for her.

I was glad about that, but at the same time, it made me sad. Sad that what we had was destroyed. Destroyed by a continual stream of people and events. And I was angry that I never stood up for myself. I was as much to blame for everything.

Aashiv gives me a reassuring smile in the mirror before greeting Niklaus and then leaving the room.

I turn around slowly, only to be devastated by his handsomeness. Niklaus often wore a suit, but this suit was somehow more. More fitted, more formal, more devastating. Its effect on me is instant as the ache between my legs reappears. An old friend at this point. One that doesn't leave. Why would she with eye candy like this?

A full minute, perhaps even more, goes by as my gaze travels Niklaus's form. As does his mine.

His jaw is clenched and ticks as if he is angry. His eyes do not confirm or deny that assumption.

"Are you ready?" Gruff and to the point.

"Yes," I sigh, dropping my gaze. I grab my clutch and leave the room, his footsteps behind confirming he is following.

Aashiv stands at the door with Ade, Julia sleeping in her arms.

"Don't worry about anything. We will be here when you get back. Just..." Aashiv hesitates, her eyes flicking to Niklaus, who shakes his head slightly.

"Just remember I will be here when you get back," she repeats, her tone making me nervous.

I never asked where we were going, assuming that if Niklaus was going with me, then the situation we were entering was not something that would jeopardize my safety or alert David to my being back in the country.

Perhaps I was mistaken.

I don't get a chance to ask as Niklaus places his hand on my lower back, prompting me to head to the limo parked in front of the door. He opens the door, and before I get in, I hesitate, looking at him as if his expression will tell me what is going on. When it gives nothing away, I get in, anxiety starting to gnaw at me.

The driver starts the engine, and we pull away as I give the house one last look. It felt like something big was about to happen. Something that would change my life.

"Niklaus," I say, at the same time he says, "Allegra."

"You first." I put the ball in his court, hoping he would allay my concerns about tonight. His words, however, have the opposite effect.

"You need to know what is going to happen tonight. Where we are going." I nod and wait for him to continue.

"We are going to a charity event. Hosted by Senator Ashburg." Oh god, no. If Senator Ashburg were hosting this event, David would be there. Without a doubt.

"I can tell by the look on your face that you can already surmise that David will be there." I nod my head, my mouth suddenly dry and making talking difficult.

"Allegra. Tonight is the night everything is going to end. After tonight, David will no longer be a problem for you. But I need you to be brave. I need you to trust that everything will be okay. I will never let David hurt you again." The way he says the words and the look on his face reminds me of the way he looked at me on Rosi Island. The way he looks at our daughter. Like he would do anything for me. Does this mean he still has feelings for me?

"Eve and Kraven have already been dealt with. They will never again interfere in our lives." The shock on my face is obvious.

"How? What happened?" The relief I feel is so great I feel like I might cry. We hadn't spoken about it, and I worried Eve had managed to smooth things over with Niklaus. It made me feel jealous. But his words now just crushed all the doubt.

"It doesn't matter. It's water under the bridge. If either of them steps back into the county, I will know, and there will be consequences. Eve would have had it much worse, but I needed her to arrange the tickets for tonight," he says, hesitating before finally speaking again.

"It's time, Allegra. There is one last devil in this equation, and tonight is the night we deal with him. I don't need you to do anything. Everything has been prepared. You just need to be ready for a confrontation. It will no doubt happen when he sees you. But keep your cool. You have done nothing wrong. Remember that."

In my heart, I knew that if this didn't happen, I wouldn't be free. It had to happen. But that didn't make me feel less scared.

Niklaus grabs my hand gently, squeezing it comfortingly. My eyes drift from our hands to his handsome face.

"Are you ready?" He asks as we pull up in front of a huge building, the red carpet and security along the side of it, making sure the paparazzi keep their distance.

"I'm ready," I say, giving Niklaus a big smile.

I can do this. With him by my side, I could do anything.

Please don't forget to comment and vote!