Chapter 19 - Date

This body of work is available exclusively on Wattpad. If you're viewing it on a different website or under a different username, it has been illegally stolen, and you may be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing a book takes long hours of hard work and effort. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author, know if you encounter this situation by finding me @greenwitchwrites.

Allegra

Niklaus has leaned back in his chair, waiting expectantly for me to explain. A look flashed across his face moments ago when I had spoken, a look I couldn't define. I don't know him well enough to know what all of his looks mean.

"You should know that you have no obligation towards me. I'm not a charity case. I don't need your pity," I say to him, his expression remaining unchanged as he stares at me.

After some time passes, us just staring at each other, he speaks. "Elaborate as I am lost as to what you are trying to say."

"Well, I've seen the women you have allegedly dated or been in relationships with, and I definitely am not your type. The only thing I can think of is that someone put you up to this. Perhaps Ade or Aashiv. I don't really want to know who. It's irrelevant. But I don't need a pity fuck or for you to be doing all of this because you feel sorry for me."

While I thought saying these things would make me feel better, it has the opposite effect. Coupled with Niklaus' unfaltering deadpan expression, I am starting to wonder if my assumption is correct at all.

"So, just so that I have it straight. You think you are here because someone forced me to bring you here?" Niklaus says, his voice holding a calmness that seems false in a sense. Part of me thought he might be angry.

"When you say it like that, it sounds ridiculous. But that's the only reason I can think of. We have nothing in common and besides the brief...encounters we have had, we barely know each other."

"Firstly, no one forces me to do anything I don't want to do. Secondly, you have no idea what my type is, and remember what I said to you about believing everything the internet says? Thirdly, how would you know if we have anything in common when you are so guarded and secretive?" His words linger around the table, our eyes still locked on one another.

The trance is broken by a waiter who hands Niklaus a glass containing a brown liquid and myself a glass of chilled semi-sweet wine. I sip it eagerly, hoping the alcohol eases the anxiety I am feeling.

"You do realize, Allegra, that what we are doing here is getting to know each other, right? It's called a date. We are on one because I genuinely want to get to know you. No one is forcing you into my company, and I'm not here because I am trying to get into your pants. If all I wanted were to get into your pants, I wouldn't be bothering with taking you on a date. We would have fucked on the counter in Aashiv and Ade's kitchen."

His words make me blush, and the truth behind them is obvious. I was so worked up this morning that had he even suggested sex, I probably would have with him.

"Why don't you try relaxing and enjoying the evening?" Niklaus says, taking a sip of his drink.

Desperately, I want to be the girl I was before. The one who took moments like these for what they were and just enjoyed them. The phrase 'fake it till you make it' flitters through my mind, and I wonder if I just pretended to be her, maybe it would become real.

"Okay." I smile after the word leaves my mouth, hoping it appears natural and not fake like the ones I usually give.

"Almost," he says, confusing me as he studies my face.

"Almost?" I ask, confused.

"That was almost a genuine smile." His words achieve just that. I smile, unforced, surprised that he has noticed.

"There it is. It's more beautiful when it's real." His grey eyes assess my features as I blush furiously under his scrutiny. He was having an effect on me and my body that was downright unnerving. And the way he looked at me, really looked at me, and saw me, was scary. But in a good way.

His phone ringing diverts his attention, leaving me to blush without his scrutiny.

"I'm sorry, Allegra, I wouldn't usually take calls. However, this is an emergency." His expression is genuinely apologetic as he gets up and steps off to the side, his abrupt answering of the call conveying to the recipient his disapproval at being interrupted. Or perhaps this was how he always was. He moves further away, leaving me to sip on my wine.

I think back to what has just been said. Over the last four years, I had been on no dates, my utterly bashed confidence and self-esteem leaving me feeling unworthy. The relationship I was in prior was no yardstick for judging healthy relationship development, and I couldn't seem to grasp even this simple interaction, a date, for what it was. This was precisely why I thought that perhaps Aashiv had arranged this. But for him to be doing all of this of his own volition, I still couldn't understand. This means he... likes me?

Before I have time to further ponder that that could be a possibility, Jennine approaches our table, her expression apologetic. Looking around, Niklaus is now nowhere to be seen.

"I'm sorry, Allegra, but Niklaus had to leave in a hurry. An emergency. He asked me to arrange a car to take you back to the villa?"

My surprise is hard to hide. He left me here. Without saying a word. Wow.

"Thank you, that would be great," I say, trying hard not to show how embarrassed I was feeling.

Part of me wondered if he had decided that I wasn't worth it after all. Perhaps my words from earlier were too much. Whatever it was, as soon as the glimmer of possibility that he might actually like me had shown itself, I had felt somewhat excited at the prospect.

I get up, ready to escape this awkward situation.

Jennine makes small talk while she walks me to the entrance. I want to press her for further details about what could have pulled Niklaus from our dinner, but I don't. If he wanted me to know, he could have told me before he left.

A car is ready at the entrance as a uniformed staff member greets me and opens the back door of the SUV. Jennine hugs me, telling me once again how great it was to meet me and that we should get together while I was here, to which I politely agree. What else was I to say?

The drive home seems longer than the drive here, giving my mind more time to over-analyze the evening. I scrutinize every interaction, every gesture, every word spoken.

Childishly, I tell myself that if he really liked me, he wouldn't have left. Logically, I remind myself that whatever happened could have been a medical emergency. Or perhaps it had to do with a business deal that he was working on. I remind myself that we don't belong to each other, that we aren't even in a relationship, and so none of it should matter.

The halting of the vehicle pulls me from my thoughts as the driver bids me a good evening.

The first thing I do is get changed before I raid the fridge. Luckily it was fully stocked with a variety of goodies. Champagne, fruit, cheese, pickled delights, and an array of mini sweet pastries, which I gorge on, the stomach ache minutes later confirming I have overdone it on the sugar.

That night when I climb into bed, I remind myself that being on this island is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that I should cherish. Determined, I resolve that tomorrow, with or without Niklaus, I will have fun and enjoy myself for a change like I used to. The girl who kissed a stranger four years ago pops into my head—that girl. I would be her again, spontaneous, even just for a while.

Please don't forget to comment and vote!