Chapter 3

It was two days later, and Sam had to go back to work at the station. He knew this girl would leave at some point anyway. She had her own life, although he didn't really understand it. He knew she didn't need anymore help. Sam phoned the station and said he'd be back, and he grabbed his stuff and left.

"I have to go back to work. Your free to leave now if you want." Sam spoke as Penny didn't understand the words he had said, but knew he had to leave. She watched him walk out the door before she turned away. Running towards the back door and opening it with her hands. Penny soon removed the shirt Sam had given her, but didn't know how to remove the underwear so she kept those on. Running as fast as the wind could take her while on her fours, until she reached the forest again. Smiling as she trotted inside. Longing to be where she belonged again. But a familiar voice spoke to her in anger.

"I thought you were told never to come here again." Klaar spoke as Penny sighed.

"But I have nowhere else to go." Penny spoke as Klaar chuffed.

"For two days you were gone, and you look clean." Klaar spoke as Penny nodded.

"Yes but, I wasn't with that human to stay. This is my home and I can't just leave it so soon." Penny spoke as Astra appeared.

"For 8,000 moons we watched over you, but you broke a sacred rule of this forest. We can no longer watch over you anymore." Astra spoke as they both walked away, but Klaar stopped for a moment.

"You will leave, or else." Klaar bellowed before catching up to Astra and walking away with her. The tears streamed down Penny's cheeks as she felt so alone. But she knew she must not give up. She laid near a tree for a while and thought to herself, before her thoughts were interrupted.

"Well well well look what we have here. The pathetic baby girl that was left behind." A wolf snarled as Penny looked at it.

"What do you want with me?" She asked as the wolf laughed.

"I thought you were told to get out of here. What makes you think your going to be able to stay?" The wolf asked as Penny shook her head.

"I don't know but I don't have anywhere else to go." She spoke as more wolves circled her. The wolf just smiled and had them back away.

"This one is all for myself." It spoke as it licked it's mouth. Darting at Penny as she ran away. It was still giving chase for a while before she stopped. Unaware that he had still kept up with her. She ran for a while, making it to Sam's house as she smiled. But the wolf lunged at her. Biting her arm as she howled loudly.

"OUCH!" Penny shouted in a snarl as blood dripped down her arm. She lunged at it, using all of her strength to fight it off but it was too difficult. The wolf kept biting at her and lunging at her. Scratching her a bit too as she tried to fight it off. But she and the wolf hid behind a bush as she heard a nose. It was Sam, who was holding his shirt she wore in his hands. He was back from work now.

"I guess she must have ran off." Sam spoke as he noticed the blood on the ground. Feeling concerned he looked around, still holding on to the shirt as he made sure everything was alright. Soon the wolf lunged out at him. But Sam was quick to react. Shoving the wolf away as it snarled and let out a big howl. Muttering to itself about failing to kill Penny before running back off to the forest.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" Sam asked as Penny couldn't understand him, but she longed to hold him close again. So she popped her head out of the bush. Soon walking out on all fours as she went closer to him. "Ah it's you. Are you al..." Sam spoke and was about to ask as he noticed her arm. 

"That must be your blood. Come here." Sam spoke as he took her inside and cleaned her up. Running the bath as he made her get inside. He made sure she was comfortable and safe as he washed her. Then he dried her off and got her dressed.

"There, all better." Sam spoke as Penny smiled. Trailing after him on her fours as he wandered into the kitchen and started to cook something. He let the water run as he guided her to the couch. Stunned to see her walking on all fours behind him. "Well that's a funny way to walk." Sam spoke as Penny looked at him in confusion. She soon jumped up onto the couch, sitting there as Sam went off into the kitchen to cook. Penny watched him in amazement as he moved so fluidly and rapidly. Cooking something that smelled delicious as she still watched him. Unaware he was done until he walked back into the living room.

"Dinner's done. Eat up." Sam spoke as Penny smiled. Darting into the kitchen as she peered up at the food on the counter. Sam let out a chuckle as he grabbed both plates and brought them to the table. He got Penny to sit down and then he sat down. Smiling at her as he soon noticed she didn't have what she needed. "Uh you might wanna use a fork." Sam spoke as Penny cocked her head at him. Unaware of what he was saying she turned her attention to her food. She ate the food with her mouth. Letting the food get all over her face as Sam watched in bewilderment.

"Well that's not something you see everyday." Sam spoke with a chuckle as she looked at him. Food all over her face as he wiped it all off. "There, all cleaned up again." Sam spoke as Penny darted to the couch. He put the dishes in the sink and cleaned them up before heading out into the living room to sit on the couch with her. He looked at her, starred into her eyes as he tried to understand her and what she wanted. But he couldn't make sense of any of this, though soon he landed on a conclusion.

"You were in that forest for a reason, weren't you?" He asked as Penny still didn't understand him. She again looked at him in confusion as he looked her in the eyes. The scars, the dirtiness, her weird behavior. It all made sense in that moment, and he felt bad for her. She looked at him as he held her close. Burring his face in her hair as he kissed her forehead. Letting her gently fall asleep as he whispered to her.

"You'll be safe here, I promise you that." Sam spoke in a whisper as she was falling asleep in his arms.