6: The Universe Bending to her Will

Shari twisted her nose as she stepped into the Slat

Shari twisted her nose as she stepped into the Slat. She kept her hands pressed tightly together before her, eyes glancing rapidly around her surroundings to avoid stepping on or bumping into anything unsavory. It was easy to tell that she was very much out of her comfort zone.

Jesper kept trying to ask her questions about her ability, about why she was able to do what she could, but Shari was too busy trying to avoid making contact with any part of the Slat to give him proper answers.

That, and she didn't want more people knowing she was on parem.

Wylan walked a bit away from them, hands wrapped around himself and lips curled downwards as he stared at how much attention Jesper was paying to the Havemeyer girl. It wasn't that he was jealous, he just found it a bit unfair how the world seemed to be catered to her.

Intelligence; allowing his father to wish she was his child and not Wylan, despite the fact that he was a boy and she wasn't. Wylan would be able to take over his empire and run it as his own, she wouldn't have been able to.

Her monstrous grisha abilities that captured the attention of Jesper so quickly, whereas Wylan was pining over him for weeks before he was acknowledged.

Even Kaz seemed so quick to take a liking to the girl and Wylan didn't know whether it was because of those same abilities or because it was Shari Havemeyer. It was like the entire universe seemed to bend to her will.

He didn't know if it was luck or something more. It almost fascinated him to the point of fawning over her himself.

She was beautiful too, and though Wylan never really cared about such things, he couldn't help it. Unlike him who was only interested in boys, Jesper swung both ways and Wylan was sure the girl was pretty enough for Jesper to have pursued her when he was single.

He was scared that Jesper would find her pretty enough to pursue her even now. The thought left a bitter taste in his mouth and he was had to stop to get himself together. His thoughts were going haywire and his insecurities were making it worse.

"So people really sleep here?" Shari asked incredulously as she looked around the main floor.

Her question caught the attention of some members of the Dregs and they turned to look at her with spite. She was obviously too well dressed to have been from the barrel like they were, even her voice and intonation suggested a better upbringing.

There was no part of Shari Havemeyer that even insinuated anything other than massive wealth and the gang members wondered what on earth someone like her would be looking for there. But she was with Kaz, and so they spoke nothing of it. They just gave her weird looks as the crippled man led her to Per Haskell's old office, now Kaz's own.

He'd motioned for Wylan and Jesper to stay outside as he entered into the office. Shari looked at them as they stopped, furrowing her brows. She didn't know whether she was to stay outside as well or if Kaz wanted her to come in with him.