Captain

POV Maya
I'm in the turnout room listening to the other three luitenants bickering about who deserves to be captain. "Alright, that's enough! Stop acting like children and get over yourselves. Work together, not against eachother," I say sternly, using my captain voice. "Is that what you think of us? That we're children?" Ruiz asks. "No, that's not what I meant," I say. "No, no, tell us what you really think," Sullivan pushes. All three of them looking at me expectantly.

"Okay, but remember I'm not saying this to bring you down. This is so you can further improve yourselves," I say seriously, waiting for them to nod in acknowledgment. "Ruiz, you try everything to keep your team safe. Which is understandable, but it's impeding the efficiency of the call. Which could put lives at risk, both from the team and civilians. I would suggest talking to Diane to get past this mental block," I tell him. I only get a glare in return, so I move on to Andy. "Herrera, you're the exact opposite. You tend to rush in and try to get everything done as fast as possible, but not as safely as possible. You need to find a balance between safety and efficiency. This goes for both of you," I continue, looking at both Andy and Theo. "If you want I could help you with risk assessment? I've got a few textbooks on it too," I suggest, getting a nod from Andy.

I move on to Sullivan. "Sullivan, you are too busy instigating between them, so they destroy their chances at captain and you can get the job. You're not showing your abilities to lead and be a good captain. You should focus more on that, so you can earn the job, not just because you're the only one left. If you're having trouble with that, you could always contact Diane and she could give you better advice than me," I tell him. "You should really work together instead of fighting all the time. That's how people get hurt. You've got safety, efficiency and experience," I say pointing at Ruiz, Herrera and Sullivan respectively. "Use it to your advantage," I finish. I hang up the rest of my turnouts and walk out of the room. Unbeknownst to me chief Ross had heard the whole thing.

A week later

We're all sitting in the beanery after finishing our breakfast. It's clinic day so my wife is also here. I've got my hand on her thigh and she is holding mine. She's leaning her head on my shoulder as she is still sleepy. As we're talking the door opens and chief Ross walks in. Andy, Theo and Sullivan immediately get up and stand at attention. "19, I'm assuming you all know why I'm here," she starts, getting nods in return. "I have made my decision on who will be the new captain. This person has really impressed me in the past week and I'm sure they will continue to do so. The person I picked is Bishop. Congratulations captain," she says looking at me. "B-but I wasn't even in the running? W-What?" I manage to stutter our, shocked. My head is running at a thousand miles per minute. "I'm aware. I've still kept my eye on you and I also looked at you're file. Which shows you were a really good captain, great even. Your demotion was not fair and I've definitely seen a big improvement in you, Bishop," she tells me.

I look to Carina, to try to center myself. "What do you think? Do you think I'm ready?" I ask her softly. "Yes, bambina. You are a great captain, amore," she answers, her hands holding my face. "But after last time.." I trail off. Referring to both the treatment I got the first time I made captain and to my demotion and it's aftermath. "I won't let anybody hurt you like that again. I will kick anybodies ass who tries to give you trouble about this. And we will be fine as long as you keep communicating with me like you have been doing. I'm proud of you, bambina," she's looking at me with so much love and support it makes my heart speed up.

I want the job, but I don't want anybody to think I stole it again. I look up and see everybody look at me expectantly. My eyes stop at Andy, silently asking her opinion. She nod at me with a smile. "Thank you, chief. I won't let you down," I say, standing up to shake her hand. "I have no doubt, captain," she says, walking out of the beanery. As soon as she does, the room explodes with cheers and my wife's arms are wrapped around me, giving me a passionate kiss. Which I of course return without any hesitation. This only causes the cheers and whistles to increase.