Chapter 12

POV Alina

I stood on a hill overlooking the battlefield; the sun beating down on my back. I felt a surge of power coursing through my veins, the amplified strength. My eyes searched for Aleksander, who was standing on the other side of our armies. I'd freed him from his cuffs right before we came to the battlefield. He'd promised me his loyalty, but still doubts were disturbing me. Despite everything, it was a great feeling to have him fight beside me.

I saw Fjerdan's army, my heart literally stopped for a moment. Their army was bigger and their weapons... it was something new, I'd never seen before.

Saints, I miss the Fold or nichevo'ya. I thought. I tried to calm myself.

I closed her eyes and let her power flow through me, my body trembling with the intensity of it. It felt darker, colder, and filled with an almost palpable energy.

The Fjerdans charged at us, but I was ready. I summoned the power of darkness, and shadows flowed to me, creating the blade. In the coner of my eyes, I saw the light from the distance. With a smile, I sent the cut forward. The earth shuddered, absorbing Fjerdans soldiers.

I heard the joyful shouts of Ravkan soldiers. But then Fjerdans new weapon started to shot and joyful shouts became screams of pain. I saw blood... wounded soldiers... human parts.

Aleksander advanced, his movements fluid and graceful. Another cut of light approached Fjerdans, and at least dozens of them fell apart. I did the same.

My eyes couldn't believe what they saw on the battlefield. My heart pounding in her chest as I watched the Fjerdan army assail our armies. The air was thick with the stench of blood and sweat. I had never seen a such battle before, and the sight in front of me was both terrifying and mesmerizing. The battle against the Darkling's grisha or when he'd attacked the Spinning Wheel was nothing compared to this.

I saw volcra and nichevo'ya but the worst monsters are humans themselves.

I closed my eyes for a moment, taking a deep breath and reaching out with my power. I drew on the power of the shadows, and they coiled around me like living things, moving with me and obeying my will. She sent them swirling around the Fjerdans, trapping them in a vortex of darkness. They screamed and thrashed, but they could not break free.

I watched with cold detachment as they fell, one by one, their bodies consumed by the darkness. I felt a surge of power with every life I took, and it thrilled me. I felt a tingling sensation in my body, and I felt so powerful, so alive.

But then I felt how my chest tightened, and it was hard to take a breath. This ache in my heart was familiar to me. Only a heartrender could do that.

I couldn't see where a heatrender was, only how Ravkan soldiers were falling to the ground.

«No...» I hissed.

There was smoke on the battlefield which obscured my vision. I couldn't see Aleksander. I felt the taste of blood on my tongue.

I have no other choice. I thought, and then I called to merzost, remembering how Aleksander had healed himself on a skiff. I sensed the pain leaving my body. I pushed all doubts aside, focusing instead on my determination to do what had to be done. So I gave in I clung to the merzost, channeling its power and using it to fuel my own.

For a moment, I felt invincible, unstoppable. I closed my eyes, focusing on the darkness within me. I could feel it swirling around me, a cold and hungry energy that begged to be released. And so I let it go, allowing it to flow through me and into the world around me.

As the Fjerdan soldiers drew closer, I extended my hands toward them, calling forth the shadows to do my bidding. They surged forward, a dark and oily mass that enveloped the enemy soldiers and sent them crashing to the ground.