CHAPTER 6

On this particular Tuesday, I couldn't go to work. I just couldn't. Why? It was Brian's 29th birthday, and he wasn't alive to celebrate it so I called in sick at work. I wasn't going to concentrate, I knew that.

Getting up from bed was one of the hardest things I had to do. I felt glued to it. I didn't even want to get up, but I had to, I had to do it for him.

The first thing I thought of was alcohol as I walked into the kitchen and opened my fridge. Then it dawned on me, I hadn't taken alcohol for a week. I didn't take it after the "talk" with Anna in the restroom; I didn't take it after getting myself drunk after the "talk" with Anna rather.

I looked at the fridge in awe. I had 10 bottles of vodka lying there. I snorted. These should have finished by now, I should have been restocking.

So his words rubbed off on me. I thought with a smile, closed the fridge, and walked to the sitting room, picking up my phone. I got an email from Lisa. She sent her itinerary of how she organized the event last year and that was when I realized that a week had passed and I hadn't started planning how the event was going to be

I went through the list earnestly. It read,

Congratulations my love, you deserve to handle this event. I heard that Boss chose a mini bar or restaurant which is cool! Anyways, I know you're new to this, so, here are a few things you should know to get started:

First, the owner has to agree on participating in the event else every other thing mentioned below would be futile.

Second, you are going to need assistance. Thankfully, you have me and Frank *wink wink* to help with that. You are obviously going to manage the social media account created for the chosen bar or restaurant so I will take it upon myself to help with writing the articles and Frank would help with making videos that day. I'm sure the owner has workers as well so all hands are going to be on deck. You have enough assistance, my love, don't you worry.

Last but not least, you are going to reach out to other companies, bars, or restaurants that would contribute to the event. Thankfully, Media Maven is widely recognized so getting assistance isn't all that hard. Getting one company is enough even. However, I would advise that you go to a bar or restaurant for obvious reasons.

These are the basics, if you need any help, do not hesitate to contact me. Good luck!

I smiled after reading it and replied the email extending my appreciation.

I looked at the time, 9 am. I had time. I made a mental note to leave for the bar at 5 pm. I also recalled that I still had his handkerchief with me so I made a mental note to take it along as well.

I sank into the sofa and stared at the ceiling. I could feel my thoughts creeping in as I recalled Brian's last birthday.

***
He decided to celebrate the day with me. Martha was livid about it but he didn't care. He spent the day with me. Anna was there as well. I decorated my apartment with balloons, for the birthday mood. I also got him a cake and numerous gifts which I arranged around the cake.

He wasn't expecting the decorations when he walked in with Anna who started making a video as soon as they entered the sitting room.

He tried to hide his shock but I caught it immediately. As he walked closer to the cake, he saw his gifts and shrieked dramatically. Anna and I laughed.

He picked up one of the gifts. It contained a designer wristwatch. Something he wanted for a long while. He looked at me.

"Is this what I think it is Jenny?" He asked excitedly.