CHAPTER 11

JENNIFER

Sincerely speaking, I was not the best chef. I shouldn't be blaming anyone but I blame my mum regardless. My dad died when I was 3 years old so my mum took over his business which was a whole lot of stress for her. My childhood was spent with Miss. Olivia, the maid. She took the role of my mum because my mum was hardly around, except during the weekends. At least I wasn't lonely.

I was in a boarding school in secondary school so Miss. Olivia left. During the holidays, my mum always sent a driver to pick me up because she was always busy as I mentioned. Returning home felt like hell to me. I always met an empty house; I was always lonely. My mum employed another maid to help with certain things I couldn't do. Her name was Miss. Linda; she came only when I returned for holidays. She was the one who taught me how to cook, clean, and do certain things. It was when I met her I realized how spoilt I was.

I was currently standing in front of my kitchen sink, staring at the bowl of washed catfish, and cursing under my breath because I had an issue with preparing catfish pepper soup. I searched Google but for some odd reason, I wasn't getting good information. I had already prepared stir fry spaghetti and yam porridge but I put them in the fridge because I didn't feel like eating them. I thought hard about what I wanted to eat and catfish pepper soup with white rice came to mind.

To be frank, I bought the catfish because of my mum. The last meal she prepared before leaving for America was catfish pepper soup and it was extremely tasty. I hated admitting it but I missed her so so much. I know I didn't want to call her before but I decided to do so. I swallowed my pride and called her via video call because she was the only one who would tell me the best way to prepare the pepper soup.

"My baby girllll." She sang excitedly. I noticed that she was driving.

"Hey mum, should I call you back later? You seem busy." I suggested.

"No, my love, I'm never busy for you."

Yeah, right.

"How have you been my love?" She asked and squinted her eyes, as though she was trying to discover something on my face. " You look different today. What is new?"

I furrowed my brows, "Different?" I asked.

She nodded, "You don't look a mess like before."

I rolled my eyes.
I knew she was going to say something like this.

"Is that a compliment? 'Cause you can do way better than that." I said rather rudely.

She noticed what she did because the next thing she said was, "I'm sorry, you just look different. You look good baby. What's new?" She wiggled her eyebrows as she tried concentrating on the road. "You know what? I'm gonna park," She said as she parked by the road and looked at me.

"What's new?" She asked again, smirking.

I knew what she meant. "There is no one mum. You know this."

"Still?" She groaned. "Alright then, I still believe that you can find someone new though."

"Keep dreaming," I said with a dry laugh. "I need your help though, I want to cook."

She smiled at me proudly, I could tell that she was happy, "It is about time." She said. "I know I haven't been available and it hurts me that I haven't been. However, I'm glad that you're getting better. I'm proud of you my baby." I blushed with pride on hearing that.