CHAPTER 18

JENNIFER

"Surprised?" I asked as Jason opened his door in shock. I didn't call to inform him of my coming because he wasn't picking up his calls so I decided to get there and keep knocking till he answered. Honestly, it took a long time before he heard me. Jason looked sick, he was wearing a thick sweater and on top of that, he was covered in a blanket.

"You don't look so good," I said as I walked in and sat on one of the sofas, admiring the house. He was still in shock, he watched me enter, closed the door, and sat on the sofa opposite mine. "You have a very nice house," I said with a smile. He was still looking at me, shocked. "What?" I asked. "Cat's got your tongue?"

"I can't believe that you're here." He said nasally. "I know Dennis gave you my house address. That annoying guy."

"Yeah well, you weren't picking up my calls and I need those pictures." I replied.

"You came all the way here because of pictures?" He asked.

"As I said, you weren't picking up your calls." I reiterated.

"You came all the way here because of pictures, wow. You are that dedicated to your job huh?" I knew he was being sarcastic.

"What do you want me to say?" I asked.

"That you missed my face." He said with a smirk. I shook my head with a laugh. He wasn't wrong though but was I going to let him get the answer? No.

"Even with this illness, you are still as proud as ever. You probably are prouder now." I said and he laughed so hard that he coughed. "Sorry," I said.

"Thanks." He cleared his throat. "I was feeling sick last night so Dennis decided to open up today. This morning, I realized that I have a bad cold so I got drugs and decided to stay indoors throughout. I haven't touched my phone all day." He said.

"Do you feel better now compared to this morning?" I asked and he nodded. "Yeah, just this stubborn cough."

"Sorry about that," I said, looking at the sitting room. I was impressed. The place looked so good. "Your place is nice, honestly."

"Thank you. This is my first apartment but I don't stay here that much. I'm mostly at the bar so it is almost like I've abandoned this one." He said.

"Hmm, okay." I said.

"So how are you doing?" He asked, leaning forward. He looked puffy with the sweater and blanket but I decided not to say anything.

"I'm okay, I have been really good, thanks. I've been working and no, I haven't taken any alcohol." He smiled, he seemed proud of me. His eyes were on me. I didn't find it uncomfortable but the tension? Off the charts.
"Dennis is cool," I added, to break off the silence and tension because were choking me slowly . He leaned backward, eyebrows scrunched, surprised at what I had just said.

"How so?" He asked.

"Well, we had a conversation and I realized that he is cool," I said.

"What were the odds that you and Dennis would have a conversation? Wow. And to think that I assumed you'd be cooler with Jonathan than Dennis."