The news

"Mr. Park DaeJung, am I right?" The patient nodded his head.

"I'm Lim Y/n, the one who's going to perform carotid endarterectomy on you. I'm sure my assistant has explained the required details to you about it. We'll be giving you anesthesia now," 

"Will I be okay?" he asked nervously.

"Mr. Park, there's nothing you need to worry about. Trust me, you'll be good in no time," I said with a warm smile. He nodded and soon his eyes were getting heavy. 

"Heart rate?" 

"Normal, doctor,"

"Scalpel," I made an incision through the front of his neck and opened his carotid artery. The plague that was clogging his throat was visible. I gently removed the plague.

"DongHae, what is the cause of this disease to occur?" I asked as my eyes were concentrating on the work. 

"It occurs when fatty, waxy deposits build up in one of the carotid arteries. These fatty deposits build up along the inner layer of the arteries forming a plague. The thickening narrows the arteries and decreases blood flow or completely blocks the flow of blood to the brain if not diagnosed earlier,"

"Well, you're thorough with your theory part. Keep it up," 

"Dr. Kwak, anything you see? Is it clear?" 

"It's all clear. You can stitch it up," she said as she examined it. I stitched it up and my junior covered it with a sterile bandage. 

"Have him shifted to the PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit)," 

I walked out of the surgical room and washed my hands as I removed my gloves. The patient's family was waiting outside.

"The operation went successful. He's shifted to PACU which is restricted. The nurses will let you know once he is awake. You can visit him then," 

"Thank you so much, doctor!" she said holding my hands.

"I did what I should do," We both left for my cabin.

"I heard new interns are coming this week," Eunji said as she sat opposite me and offered me coffee.

"Wish I was back to being an intern... Man, I had some wonderful days back then,"

"Intern days?! Wonderful?" 

"Yeah, why not? I could walk around the hospital and get into a surgery room and observe it. Observe patients once their surgery is performed. Ah! I liked that better," 

"Your father would be very proud of you if he heard you," I hit her arm.

"Anyways, I'm done for the day. What about you?" I said in a tired voice.

"Still got a patient to check on. I better go on it," She hugged me and left. I got my things after changing and headed out. I got in my car, headed home, and straight into the shower.

I slid into my pajamas and lay on the couch. I switched on the TV and watched the news. 

"Breaking news! There was a wild gunshot at the XYZ Hospital, at 9:00 pm. The hospital dean has assured us that no one at the hospital was severely harmed. This sudden gunshot scared the staff and patients. Police are saying it could be two rival mafia gangs that had entered the hospital,"

'Gunshots at a hospital? Today's world is more dangerous than expected. No one has no idea what will happen, or when. Need to be ready for anything that comes up.'

I sighed and switched off the TV. I fell asleep as I was extremely exhausted. 

---Next day---

I grabbed my coat and headed to the hospital. I greeted my fellow workers as I reached my cabin. 

"Morning, Y/n," Eunji wished as we met each other. I wished her back and we got to our rounds.

"Hi, Doctor Eonni!" A thrilled voice greeted us.

"Oh my! You are all energetic, aren't you? How have you been doing?" Eunji asked as she pinched her cheeks softly.

"I am feeling good, eonni,"

"Byeol, did you have your medicine?" She nodded her head cheerfully.

"Her reports are normal. She can be discharged today. She needs to take complete rest for at least 2 weeks as she and the stitches need to heal. She needs to avoid strenuous activities for 4-6 weeks. She can slowly resume normal activities. It's common to feel tired or have abdomen pain after surgery. Don't worry about it. You can meet me next week," I said looking at her father and he gave a nod.

"Little princess, you're all well to go home. See you next week!" I ruffled her hair and moved to the next bed.

"Mr. Park, good to see you awake. How are you feeling?" He showed a thumbs up.

"Noticed anything different?" I asked DongHae.

"No doc. All vitals are good," He said.

"Please refrain from speaking a lot for a while. You will feel some discomfort around your neck area but don't worry, we're giving you painkillers. You can slowly start having mild food. If you're doing good, you'll be home within the next 24 hours. Take good rest," 

We headed back to the nurse station to record our observations. 

"You heard about the gun shootout at the XYZ Hospital?" Eunji asked.

"That was the first thing I heard as I switched on the TV. I don't even want to think about it,"

"Seems like it's the mafia gang. Heard of Lee Kangmin?" I nodded my head slowly.

"His son, Lee Taeyong is leading the group. I heard he is such a hottie guy! If I could get the chance to at least kiss him,"

"Have you ever seen him? Why dream about things that aren't gonna happen? You better finish your report," She clicked her tongue.

"You're just jealous that I'll make out with him,"

"In your dreams. Show the same interest in there if you want to head home early," She got back to her work.

"Excuse me, doc," A voice called out.