02

I'm being carried into my house

I'm being carried into my house. I'm being laid onto a couch. I don't know who's helping me. I don't know what's going on. I think I'm about to pass out.

My eyes open. I'm met by dark brown eyes. They're frantic and scared but they instantly calm when they land on mine. "I didn't know what to do because I didn't want to hurt you so I kinda just waited for you to wake up." I hear her whisper. "Sorry."

My eyes open fully and I eye the girl who's helping me. She's... beautiful. She has neat, dark curls and fair, pearly brown skin and honey-caramel eyes. I couldn't look away. I've never seen anyone as gorgeous as her. How I haven't noticed her before, I wonder.

"What's your name?" I ask, trying to sit up but the pain in my body is too much and I collapse onto the couch again.

"Alayna," She still whispers. "We go to the same college." There's silence before she speaks again. "I'm going to help you, okay? Do you want to go to the hospital?"

I shake my head and close my eyes, trying to soak up the pain and hide it away. All I needed was a rest. If I sleep, I'll be fine in the morning. This was nothing new for me and I don't need help. I don't need her to fix me.

"I don't need your help." I rasp. "You should... you should go." I wince when I feel a sharp pain in my stomach.

I'll admit, this beating was much worse than the others. I half expected them to kill me. As glad as I am that Alayna saved me, I need her to leave. I need to deal with it by myself.

But, she shakes her head. The tip of her tongue is on her top lip and she's looking down, deep in thought. Then, she looks up and meets my eyes.

"I'm sorry, I can't do that. You're in pain, and if you don't want to go to the hospital, then let me help you." Her voice was no longer a whisper. It was firm and secure. She was getting a point across and she wasn't going to back down until she got what she wanted. "Where's the kitchen?"

I hesitate before nodding my head behind her. She turns around, gets up and disappears into the room.

A minute later, she walks out with a bag of frozen peas. She drops them on the sofa, next to my feet and kneels next to me. I see her hands shake as she reaches out and lifts the bottom of my hoodie. I hear the intake of breath as she assesses the mess and the bruises all over my body. She lifts the hoodie further, making me flinch and hiss in pain.

"Fuck- I'm sorry, this is gonna hurt." Then, I'm lifted slightly into her arms. Fuck, she's strong. The hoodie is over my head and on the floor.

And then I realised what was happening. I was shirtless. In front of a girl I don't even know.

Her eyes scan over my body, over my stomach, my chest, my neck, down my arms... and then they freeze. Her stare is stuck on my arms and they don't move.

I know exactly what she is looking at.

Her hands, that were on my shoulders, travelled down my arms slowly, until they rested at my wrists. My eyes close involuntarily and I shut out the old pain. It's all in the past, I remind myself. It's all in the past.